MacBook Air's battery health from 87% to 71% in 2 days.

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Yggbert, Nov 25, 2013.

1. Yggbert, Nov 25, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2013

Yggbert macrumors regular

Hi guys. I have the 2011 Air that has 110 cycles on it and this has suddenly happened to me, now the battery lasts only 2-3 hours instead of 5-6 web browsing. I don't obsessively check it but I was wondering why the hell I only had 2 hours remaining at full charge when I was just sat browsing light websites.

This is definitely a fault right? I run the battery down at least once a month with some small charges here and there due to taking it to university, it hasn't been sat on AC power for two years or anything.

edit: system information says service battery...I really hope Apple replace this out of warranty, crap

2. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

an almost 3 year old computer that has only 110 cycles does sound like it has spent most of its life just plugged in. my 2013 air has more cycles than that

i would take it in, battery replacement isn't that much.

3. Yggbert thread starter macrumors regular

It's 2 years old this month, so saying it's nearly 3 is kind of a stretch. I run it down just like Apple instruct on the website and it definitely gets used (but not that much)

I'll take it in and see what happens, what bad luck this is.

4. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

i was told there would be no math!

the point still stands. That's about 700 hours of battery use which, over 2 years, is less than an hour a day on the battery. i guess that might not be that much...but definitely going to be less time than most people here spend on their machines :p

either way, they say these batteries are designed to charge 1000 times before losing 20% of their battery life. maybe they'll replace it for you free but even if not, it really isn't oto bad to have them do it. $130

5. D*I*S_Frontman macrumors 6502

I think I'm on my fourth replacement battery for my '06 MBP. Not sure where the bug is, but every time I bring it in the tech says "Yup, that battery is out of spec for how many charges are on it. Here's a new one, on the house."

Wait 18 months, repeat.

Love that Apple retail store. Replacing batteries on a seven year-old laptop, long out of warranty, for free? Nice.

6. Yggbert thread starter macrumors regular

It kinda fluctuates, I'm on my PC most the time so my Mac does sit idle a lot!

I found an official Apple battery on Amazon for around $70 so that's probably my best bet if I have to pay. Fingers crossed.

Oh wow that sounds great. I really hope I get the same treatment, the guy on the phone straight up told me they'd charge me. Hmphf.

I'll try the other store in my hometown instead.

7. Yggbert thread starter macrumors regular

Just to follow up: initially they wanted to charge me because the corporate division of Apple the repair centre dealt with wouldn't budge, so my store told me to phone customer service myself to try and after a few times being placed on hold, a supervisor marked my case as a free replacement!

So, brand new battery. For free! 13 months outta warranty. Look forward to seeing how much longer the new one lasts on Mavericks. :D