Macbook Aluminum 2.4ghz and 4gb ram. Problems. Please give some advice.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by pedeecrack, Feb 17, 2009.

1. pedeecrack macrumors newbie

Hey all. First post, but have been using the search function wisely.
    Like the title states, I have an Aluminum Macbook 13.3 with 2.4 and 4gb. First month with it was all good. Lately, its been too hot on the bottom and I installed this SMC fan control but it stays on 000rpm and even on iStat the fan reads at 0rpm. The temperature is also reading around 65-75 when doing regular internet stuff or working on iwork. It has gone up to 107 degrees celsius 3 times when on youtube or watching highlights on nba.com. Another thing, when watching a video on youtube or nba.com, the screen sometimes suddenly turns all white and flickers. Not really good at explaining it but think about a fluorescent light when you first turn it on... it flickers for a bit. That is how the screen gets but it doesn't stop flickering. I have to close the screen, then open it back up and then push the power button for it to work again. I am most probably going to take it to the apple store on Friday because I believe that there's something terribly wrong on this mac. I am posting to see if anyone has encountered these events (fan rpm @ 0, heating up past 100c, screen flickering). If so please let me know what you did and how you did it, or if you got a new mac or whatever you got.

Overview on whats wrong with my mac.
    • Macbook RPM doesn't seem to be working. Reads 000rpm on SMC and 0 on iStat
    • Overheats to the point where my hand can't touch the bottom of the book for more than 10 seconds. (I can literally feel the heat cooking my damn hand)
    • When watching videos online, the screen starts to flicker like a fluorescent light and the computer won't do anything until you close the screen and open it back up again with the power button.

2. sporadicMotion macrumors 65816

sporadicMotion

It sounds like your fans are messed. Bring it back asap.

3. daisun macrumors newbie

There seems to be a major problem with your macbook. Currently i'm doing some light browsing and the temp is sitting on 49-50 degrees.

4. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Are you sure SMC and iStat are the problem and not the other way around, ie, the fans aren't working at all hence why they are reported as spinning at 0 rpm ?

From the overheating, i'd say your fan is dead.

5. pedeecrack thread starter macrumors newbie

Took it to apple store.

Well, I took it to the apple store today like I said I would.
    Ended up getting a new Macbook. I took it in around 4:30 or so and they called around 8:05 saying that there was something wrong with the fan and because of the high heat, the screen would get 'messed up' and such. The new one I have now shows that the fan is working properly. It is currently reading at 2004 RPM and the temperature is 50. Good thing I got that 3 year plan with apple.

Oh, another thing. They told me not to use SMC because the computer is designed to adjust the speeds of the fan accordingly and such.

Thank you all for your input.

6. aluminumapple macrumors regular

lol their telling you not to use SMC because they dont like 3rd party aps at All.
    also yes i was just about to say your screen might be burnt out, and you should get it fixed but looks like you did. congrats.