MacBook Aluminum FREEZE issue - Even with 3 GB of RAM!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by fener, Jan 12, 2009.

1. fener macrumors regular

Hello,

I am an Apple user for the last 7 years, and have been happy with every single one of products, except the new Aluminum MacBooks.

I purchased 4 GB ram, G-Skill, and the MacBook freezes ALL the time after 5 min - 1 hour use. I had tested the ram, and they're good.

So, after reading around, found that the problem is MacBook has 4 GB issues for most of the customers, and until Apple releases a fix, using one of the 2GB chips, to have 3 Gb will do the job.

YES, 3 GB works, 85% of the time. But even with 3GB of ram, there are occasional system freezes!

Anyone having the same with 3GB ram, too?

When will Apple release the RAM fix!?

2. mreg376 macrumors 6502a

Not sure where you got "Macbook has 4GB issues for most of the customers," but that statement is ridiculous. So ridiculous in fact, that it's hard to give any credibility to anything else you say. Either you have bad ram, or a bad Macbook. So put back the original Apple ram, and if it still freezes, and you haven't screwed up OSX, return it to Apple for repairs or replacement.

3. akbc macrumors 6502

Are those DDR3 chips?

If so, then I suggest you take it to the nearest Apple Store or Service Provider to consult the issue.

If not, that might be the reason why.

I'm not too sure, but are MacBooks compatible with DDR2 chips at all? (Edit: No, they're not)

4. fener thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, these are DDR3 chips; and if i use 1 stick of 1 GB, and 1 stick of 2GB (G-skill) MacBook works fine; 85% of the time

5. fener thread starter macrumors regular

MacBook also freezes with Apple sold (samsung branded) 4 GB of ram;

its fine with 2 GB of ram.

Nobody heard of 4 Gb freeze issue with aluminum here?

6. akbc macrumors 6502

Can you kindly link us to people who have issues?

Even the previous MacBook can support 4GB, and the new DDR3 Alu MacBooks can support upto 4GB officially as well.

It's just you (and maybe a few more people) having a bad RAM or bad MacBook. I suggest you try with other RAM sticks or take your MacBook to a service shop.

7. fener thread starter macrumors regular

Sure, i can even give out some news and lengthy discussion links about the widely spread issue:

jkontherun - firmware doesn't fix the 4 gb issue

pcworld - macbook users report lockups

Apple - random freezes

Apple - unstable after ram upgrade

Its not that MacBook aluminum doesn't support 4 GB; it does; but there is something wrong with new MacBooks

8. tubbymac macrumors 65816

tubbymac

NVidia motherboards (Apple calls them logic boards for some reason) have a fairly notorious history for being finicky with ram.

9. sheltem macrumors member

Let's not forget how new laptop DDR3 is. There are bound to be compatibility issues. Have you tried talking to G-Skill about this issue?

I wonder if the Lenevo Ideapad U330 (uses DDR3 as well) has similar issues.

10. fener thread starter macrumors regular

*UPDATE*

I just spoke to G.Skill on the phone.

They said, DDR3 is fairly new, and the chips might be having compatibility issues with the new Apple chipset.

They further said that they will be holding some tests and will have a result by Monday.

After this discussion, i am not excited about a firmware fix from Apple. After all, if there is a hardware compatibility issue, could firmware fix it? :confused:

I'll keep it posted.

11. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

Sounds like you need to return that ram and buy some from a decent manufacturer like kingston or crucial.

12. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Cheap RAM causes computers to randomly freeze, its to do with the way it assigns tasks, buffers and latency but basically you need crucial or RAM made by a reputable company.

13. fener thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the responses.

I had never had any issues with previous MacBooks; used Patriot, Crucial, ...

I guess this one is more picky. I was gonna get the mushkin one, but ended up with G.Skill.

If it doesn't get solved, i'll get another set.

What do you guys think of this set? It says made by Samsung parts, which is proven to work, as far as I know.

http://cgi.ebay.com/4GB-SAMSUNG-RAM...1|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

14. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Just get Crucial, stop looking for the cheapest options, Apple have limited which manufacturers RAM works inside their new computers and as far as i know only Crucial and OWC works perfectly without any problems.

15. dinaluvsApple macrumors regular

maybe you should of read the thread over at notebookreview.com regarding g-skill ram in the macbooks.

ive got 4gb of crucial and its flawless.

16. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

I'm using G-Skill. It works flawlessly. I never had a kernel panic or or any freezes.

17. canadian4evr macrumors newbie

I have 4GB of crucial memory (http://www.memoryhouse.com/products/3288/CT25664BC1067/CRUCIAL TECHNOLOGY/)... and having the same freezing issues with the new unibody macbook.

Macbook runs like a dream with the 4GB until it freezes, that is!

With the Apple 2GB memory, the system runs fine.

Called Crucial, they are aware of the issue with the new macbooks. They offered to send me another set, but I chose to RMA the set and wait it out, until the problem has fixed itself.

18. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Apple is punishing people for buying 4GB RAM when they really don't need it.

19. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

As far as you know, maybe. In truth, wrong. I went through two OWC sets to no avail until Apple wanted to do research on my MB and exchanged my computer and RAM.

20. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

I heard on this forum OWC is good, but sorry if its a poor recommendation, we dont have it in the UK, only crucial, but im sure that works perfectly with 3GB in your model.

21. fener thread starter macrumors regular

22. mmnz macrumors newbie

mmnz

macbook 2.4ghz alum freez

i have a macbook alum 2.4ghz with 2gb ram, nothing has been altered but after using it for a month now, the OS freezes after 1 hour of use, what could be the problem??:rolleyes:

23. John Jacob macrumors 6502a

John Jacob

If your MacBook freezes 15% of the time with 2GB of G-Skill RAM, then that is the problem. Running a RAM test once may not detect a problem, ideally you have to keep it running in single user mode with no other programs for hours on end.

I have a 4GB unibody MacBook that is 2 months old not, and I have never had a problem (ordered online with 4GB of Apple RAM).

24. emil10001 macrumors newbie

I'm having the same issue, 2.0ghz version, 2gb ram. It randomly freezes on me. I've had it for a couple of weeks, and this just started yesterday for me.

25. fuzzycuffs macrumors member

fuzzycuffs

I upgraded my new unibody 2.0 to 4gb from OWC with no problems. Search the forum and it's been talked about a lot.

I did do a complete reinstall of the system though. I was noticing a lot of instability/freezes when I used it straight from the box as well, even with 2GB.

Reinstall OSX and everything's been fine.