Macbook aluminum - one of the four cushions came off

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by broct, Feb 17, 2011.

1. broct macrumors newbie

I'm not sure if that's what they are called, but one of the little rubber things fell off the bottom of my Macbook somewhere. I was wondering if you can pay to have one replaced or something?

2. Trius macrumors 6502a

Trius

3. .Max. macrumors member

.Max.

Is the bottom smooth when they come off, or is it an indent? ;) I'm interested in taking them off :p

4. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

5. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

I think there is a small indent with a hole matching up with a locating tab on the "feet".
    If you are near an Apple store and you ask nicely they`ll almost certainly put one on for you.
    Ebay or iFixit can probably supply the parts too.
    I would not be inclined to take them all off as it will slide around and scratch like hell.

6. broct thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I mean the rubber feet. Damn, they are pretty expensive.

I wouldn't take them off. The indention is ugly.

7. iRedZ, Feb 19, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2011

iRedZ macrumors newbie

I guess you mean the late 08 macbook? There is no OEM replacement feet available for them (if you ask apple they will want to charge you 87 bucks toal replace the WHOLE BOTTOM of the computer!, and iFixit doesn't sell them :eek: )

How do I know, you ask?

My aluminum macbook is missing 3 (YES 3!) of the feet!

This issue is almost unheard of. I have only seen 2 cases of this (yours being one). The apple techs at the genus bar at my local apple store haven't ever even seen it before. Must have been a bad batch of adhesive at the factory.

I did find some non-OEM replacement feet that look like they would fit almost perfectly (and you get 9 in a pack). I think I will pick up a pack of these sometime soon, actually. Take a look at 'em here

8. iRedZ macrumors newbie