Macbook: Battery dead (as in dead) and paint turning pink where hands go

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by obelix, Dec 24, 2007.

1. obelix macrumors member

Hey Guys.

Got two problems with my brother's MacBook. The first thing is that he bought this Macbook two years ago. It's the 2Ghz Intel Core Duo model.

1. The battery is completely dead and won't hold a charge at all. The second the power goes off the computer dies. Additionally when I go over the battery icon in the menu it says "Battery is not charging." Does Apple have a recall on any MacBook batteries? Do I just have to go out and get a new one? Any chance this is a motherboard issue and not a battery issue?

2. The area below where his hands and fingers touch the trackpad and the white bit below the keyboard has turned pink. It looks like the paint has just worn off, and what's left is a pinkish colour that's quite hideous.

Any chance I can get Apple to take it back and fix it? We got the 1 year standard warranty on it but didn't get Applecare extended. What are the options?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

You might be able to get the case repaired out of warranty.

You're going to need to buy a new battery.

3. Built macrumors 68020

I have had several laptops and the batteries never make it past two years, so it looks like it's time to get a new battery.