Macbook bought in China, Just bought AppleCare, Warranty starts now?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by chewbaccacabra, Jan 25, 2009.

1. chewbaccacabra macrumors regular

chewbaccacabra

Can this cause me a problem later on? I bought a 2.0 AL MacBook in Nov during my lengthy China stay. Upon my return to the US, I went to have my Air repaired under warranty and decided to get AppleCare for both. I noticed when I registered online, Apple started the 3 year warranty for my MacBook the day I registered with AppleCare and not day of purchase. This was bought at a reseller in Shenzhen. Warranty is now good until Jan. 2012 rather than Nov. 2011.

Seems like I could have waited until Nov 2009 and gotten 4 years coverage?!? :eek:

2. Prekesh macrumors regular

Prekesh

wow that is lucky, as far as i know they told me that they would add on the 2 years from the end of your first year?

but that is pretty awesome, getting the extra few months ^^

3. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

That indeed is unusual no doubt, but I'm not sure I would count on it actually wind up being held valid after the three years from purchase that AppleCare is defined as. In the terms of the AppleCare policies, they mention that they can require printed proof of purchase when requesting service so I am just afraid for your sake that the mis-dating of the AppleCare agreement might be caught if service were requested after the three years from purchase.

Hopefully not and the error in the system will never be detected! ;)

4. TubbyCow macrumors member

The exact same thing happened to me however it randomly changed to the correct date at some point later. I would make sure to check back later