Macbook -- can't boot into OS X and can't boot off of a DVD

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by natallica, Sep 4, 2008.

1. natallica macrumors 6502

Heya everyone -

I have a C2D 2.0 Macbook that started going crazy this afternoon.

If I try to boot it, the grey screen comes up with the Apple and progress wheel. A few seconds later it shuts off.

If I hit 'Option' on boot, my Mac disk and Windows XP disks are there. I can only boot into Windows. If I try the Mac partition, the Macbook shuts off.

I was able to get into Disk Utility once off of a Leopard CD and it gave me an error saying there's an invalid sibling link and it can't repair.

I then tried booting into the hardware diagnostic mode using both an install DVD of Leopard and Tiger only to have the computer shut down.

Now I can't even boot into the installer again. It just shuts down.

I started to wonder if there isn't a problem bigger than the hard drive going on. Isn't the Macbook supposed to be able to boot off of CD even if there's no hard drive present???

This hard drive is one that I upgraded to for capacity in December. So, I decided to try and put my old stock drive with Tiger (and no Boot Camp) on it and it boots fine!

Why would a bad hard drive keep the Macbook from booting into an installer DVD or hardware diag mode???

I've got Applecare and so I called in and the guy said he didn't know what was going on and to try going to the Genius Bar. I'm afraid that at the Genius Bar they're going to claim that it's the hard drive and that will be it and I'll have to deal with getting a replacement from the hard drive manufacturer as it's not the stock drive on my Macbook. I'm worried then that it may be some other piece of hardware is the culprit and I'll be back to square one.

Any thoughts on what else I can try?

Again, why wouldn't the Macbook be able to boot off of a DVD if the bad drive is in?

-- N

2. rogair macrumors member

Did you actually try this? Removed the HD and tried to boot using the DVD? Your OS X partition is somehow corrupt. Its the drive, IMO. You said your Apple HD works fine, so get a replacement from the manufacturer for the 3rd party drive.

3. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

I concur captain.

4. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

I was in the same situation only yesterday, remove the HD and try it if you can with a FireWire drive. At the moment that is what I am having to do.

5. natallica thread starter macrumors 6502

An update: I was able to boot into single user mode (command-S) and run fsck_hfs to fix the drive's catalog. I'm now back up and running. Ran Disk Utility and verified the drive and then repaired permissions. I'm going to keep an eye on things for a few days.

Can anyone suggest a good hard drive scanning utility to check the drive's surface? The Hitachi util is PC only.

-- N

6. rogair macrumors member

7. computerwiz222 macrumors newbie

Try using Target Disk Mode to another computer to back-up.

Reformat the drive and reinstall OS X.