MacBook Coffee Spill! Still Turns on, but Mouse and Keyboard are faulty

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by alisonwnderlnd1, Apr 26, 2009.

1. alisonwnderlnd1 macrumors newbie

I recently spilled a little bit of coffee on the corner of my MacBook. It didn't get past the F key and only was about three rows of keys. Less than 1/8 cup.

I immediately pulled the power plug and turned it off.
    I left it to dry for a day upside down and turned it on. Everything seemed fine, except that after a little while the mouse started to right click on its own and when I typed, it was a combination of letters and numbers.

I know I cannot take it in to the Apple Store, because they'll put the spill on record. Should I try to disassemble the whole thing and then take it in?

Also specs. the MacBook is a 13 inch from two years ago.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Your AppleCare is void. Taking it in would mean that you're going to pay for it one way or another.

3. core2duo macrumors member

Your situation isn't so bad. On that model of MacBook, the keyboard and track pad are all integrated in the top case. As long as the coffee didn't get deeper than the keyboard membrane, this should be the only part that needs to be replaced. Your best way of going about it would be to find a reputable Apple authorized repair center nearby, and have them do the work for you. You'll have to pay for the repair, but your machine should be good as new again.

I'd be honest about the liquid spill when you take it in for repair. Tell the service center what happened, and ask them to inspect the logic board before completing the repair. That way if there is further damage to it, you'll know about it, and the service center may be able to clean the board a bit to address it.

Hope all works out well.