MacBook damaged, will my warranty cover it? btw... Future Shop sucks.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by PumaGuy, Jun 17, 2008.

1. PumaGuy macrumors regular

I have 3 year warranty (I'm still in my limit) and this happened:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm covered by FutureShop, will they fix this?

It was accidental... I didn't notice till my wrist rubbed over it.

Puma

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

in all seriousness that is probably due to usage patterns

instead of dealing with waranty and not having a computer for a week or two (which im pretty sure they wont cover this), I would just get some CA or superglue and glue it back

just my opinion though

3. mixmacface macrumors regular

mixmacface

the only way to know if it's covered is to either pull out any paper work you have (whaaaat? paper?) or call them. it might be covered. .

4. cjduckk macrumors newbie

cjduckk

It's certainly not going to be covered under AppleCare (it will be deemed accidental damage no matter how it happened), but if the warranty is through the retailer, there's always a chance. My advice would be to take it into them and see what happens. You never know! =)

regards,
    -c.

5. DesignerOnMac macrumors 6502a

DesignerOnMac

looks like a small indent in the bottom case as if it was hit or dropped. Most warranties do not cover damage caused by the owner, but as mentioned, read your warranty and see what is covered and what is not.

I sold extended warranties for 7 years in retail and no warranty covered this kind of damage, but read your stuff and good luck.

6. eman macrumors 6502a

What your looking at is a design flaw and Apple has replaced these under warranty. The chip is from the top lid hitting the keyboard.

7. rfrankl macrumors 6502

That is what I have always heard as well.

8. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

Correct, my father's MacBook has the same problem (too bad he didn't buy AppleCare when I told him to). It is covered under warranty, just so you know, so there shouldn't be a problem.

9. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

I heard that Apple will replace the top case for you no hassle. This is a known flaw.

10. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Try using the "[​IMG]

11. joshwest macrumors 65816

joshwest

i saw a guy in my local apple store at the genius bar and they took his in and were going to replace it no questions asked.

12. PumaGuy thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys! I'm going to take it in on Thursday to Futureshop ;)

Best regards,

Puma

13. iHerzeleid macrumors 6502a

iHerzeleid

Let us know how it turned out! Anyways Apple should replace this, if not a friendly third party Apple Certified Technician can also replace this for you. They seem to be less finicky.

14. PumaGuy thread starter macrumors regular

Future Shop Sucks

Ok, I got back from Future Shop yesterday... after 3 whole weeks without a computer (the MacBook). During those 3 weeks, they repaired 1 out of 3 of the problems. Their are 3 problems with it: The chip (as you can see above on the first post), a chip on the incasing, which Future Shop did while installing 2GB of RAM (not on the battery but near it) and their is a problem with the battery (it won't come out of the battery bay). They only repaired the problem with the battery bay DURING THE 3 ***** WEEKS IT WAS GONE!!! The 2 chips are apparently only covered with Apple's warranty... SO they basically are telling me that Future Shop's Warranty is garbage. They are going to call me back today, so they can give me a "quote" for the repairs (which should really be covered under warranty, but they don't give rats ass).

Lesson 1: Do NOT deal with 3rd parties when it comes to Apple products, deal with APPLE!

Lesson 2: FUTURE SHOP SUCKS! :mad:

Lesson 3: Do NOT let complete idiots install RAM, because if they are FUTURE SHOP, THEY WILL SCREW IT UP!

Puma

15. TSE macrumors 68030

Why in the world do you need a third party to install RAM in a MacBook? It takes 5 minutes and is easy. Sounds to me like you should have done more research about memory in MacBooks.

16. PumaGuy thread starter macrumors regular

Excuse me? I did my research on installing RAM in MacBooks, and I found out that Future Shop was willing to install it for free! Why take the risk when I could have actual technicians doing it for me. It was my first Mac and I wasn't in the the mood to screw with it. So I brought it down to Future Shop and they did a pathetic job. When I go to a trusted company, why should I get horrible service? They did not install the RAM properly, they broke the mechanism to open the battery bay and they chipped my incasing. Plus I had my parents who felt that it would be better if I went to Future Shop (I'm 14, plus they bought the Mac, so what they say goes). How dare you say that I didn't do my research.

Puma

17. zorahk macrumors 6502

No he's right, it's your own damn fault.

Installing memory in a macbook is a joke. Took me 30 seconds.

If you cant do it yourself, you have a few screws loose.

18. PumaGuy thread starter macrumors regular

First of all, why do you need to insult someone on a thread where the person is just looking for kind advice?

I was very capable of doing it myself, if you actually looked above you will see why I didn't.

If you people are not capable of commenting on my post concerning the damages done to my MacBook, please do not comment at all.

Thanks.

19. KoolStar macrumors demi-god

KoolStar

That type of crack has appeared numerous times on many different mackbooks. Most of the cases I have heard about that type of crack, Apple has repaired free of charge. If they have the part in house they do it that day, otherwise they order the part and it takes about 2 days.

20. PumaGuy thread starter macrumors regular

This is with warranty right? I don't have warranty with Apple... only Future Shop. Unless Apple will do it without a warranty?

Thanks though

Puma

21. KoolStar macrumors demi-god

KoolStar

It is supposedly a known defect and that Apple has been replacing them at no charge.

22. PumaGuy thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you very much KoolStar! I appreciate your advice very much :)

Best regards,

Puma

23. KoolStar macrumors demi-god

KoolStar

Not a problem at all, Thats what I hope we are all here to do, help one another.

24. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If Future Shop broke your computer take them to a small claims court… assuming they exist in where you are.

25. magiic macrumors regular

magiic

Futureshop's service plans SUCK. My 360 died and they were going to take it and mail it to Microsoft so they could fix it and then I get it back in a few weeks. Well hell I could of done that myself, I didnt need topay $40 for them to do that for me. Lesson learned there. The replacement ones are ok though. My $130 bose head phones packed it in and they replaced it no questions asked.