MacBook draws a lot of battery power while in standby

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Blondie :), May 1, 2011.

1. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

recently, I've noticed that my 2009 MacBook draws a lot of battery power when it's in standby mode (sleeping with the lid open). I know that they are supposed to sleep for a long time, but when I leave the lid open and it falls asleep, the computer draws battery power even faster than if the computer was being used. Does anyone know what may cause this rapid battery drain?

Thanks

2. MacForScience macrumors 6502

MacForScience

You can try reseting the PMU.

Cheers

3. Blondie :) thread starter macrumors 6502a

May I ask how one goes about resetting the PMU?

thanks

4. Blondie :) thread starter macrumors 6502a

PMU refers to older MacBooks. My MacBook is a 2009 model. As such, I have to reset the SMC. I have already done this numerous times, but to no avail. Is there something else I can reset to resolve my power management issues?

Thanks

5. frankieboy macrumors regular

Please check your energy saver settings, that you are in fact sleeping the computer and not just the display, when on battery power.

If that is set correctly, try safe-booting and see if the rapid drain during sleep persists. Let me know what happens.

Also, let's benchmark the drain, awake vs. asleep, for say 1 hour each. Measure percent battery capacity and/or milliampere hours.

6. Blondie :) thread starter macrumors 6502a

I changed the energy saver preferences to sleep in five minutes instead of 15. We'll see if anything happens. If the results are still negative, I'll post back test results.

Thanks