MacBook > DVI-D monitor: Single v Dual Link / Cable Confusion

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by thespyglass, Oct 28, 2008.

1. thespyglass macrumors regular

thespyglass

I searched around but couldn't find anything that answered my question - probably because no one else is as confused as me! - but I'm really confused about cables.

I got the mini displayport to DVI adapter and was searching for the cable I would need to connect it to a monitor I have coming on Friday, which according to the specs has a DVI-D female socket in it. But the displayport adapter looks like it's dual link whereas I'm not sure whether the monitor is dual link or single.

Can single link female take dual link male?! I can't seem to find any dual link to single link cables. If it's dual link, is this the kind of cable I need?

Thank you so much if you can help me. :eek:

2. sou1 so1di3r macrumors 6502a

sou1 so1di3r

I'm not sure if I am answering your question correctly but:

I use the miniDVI adapter and have it running into my new 22" monitor. Tha cable I use is the one that came with the monitor, and yes it is a Male/Male connector. Just like the one you linked to.:apple:

3. thespyglass thread starter macrumors regular

thespyglass

Yeah, it annoys me that apparently the monitor I've ordered doesn't come with a cable so I have to guess! Thanks for your reply, glad I seem to be on the right track with the cable.

4. highjumppudding macrumors 6502

highjumppudding

dual link is only if your resolution is above 1920x1200 pixels. mostly 30 inch monitors are dual link dvi and require the cable (cinema display comes with it) and a graphics care that is compatible with dual link dvi. if your display is under 2560x1600 then you're safe with standard DVI.

5. thespyglass thread starter macrumors regular

thespyglass

Thank you. Hmm, so I'm presuming my monitor is single link then, since its max resolution is under that threshold, but I'll wait for it to get here to be sure.

So is my solution to get a single link DVI-D cable? Will this work with the Mini DisplayPort Adapter even though it's dual link? I'm guessing here you don't need to fill all the pin holes with pins for it to work...?! (Am I answering my own question?!)

[/new-to-stuff] :eek: