MacBook exchange questions..Can I switch a 2.0 Alu Macbook out for a 2.4 Alu Macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Luke1robb, Jan 11, 2009.

1. Luke1robb macrumors 6502a

Luke1robb

So here's my situation:

I have a 2.0 GHz Alu Macbook that has a loose battery door and loose black piece that surrounds the hinge of the screen. So I'm planning on taking it in to get exchanged (I've already been told that they battery door issue would be reasonable enough to warrant an exchange if I want it by a Genius). So here's where the questions come in...

1) Could I exchange my 2.0 Alu Macbook for a 2.4 Alu Macbook by just paying the difference?

2) Can I exchange my macbook for a Refurbished 2.4 Alu Macbook by paying the difference? (Essentially trying to lower the cost of exchanging)

3) Can I exchange my macbook for a 15" 2.4 Alu Macbook Pro by paying the difference?

4) Can I exchange my macbook for a Refurbished 15" 2.4 Alu Macbook Pro by paying the difference?

I realize that a lot of people might not have tried this before or know the answer, but just looking for some thoughts on my idea. I'm hoping to get a better processor as that's something that can't be changed over time.

Thanks for all the help and input in advance.

2. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

1 & 3) You should be able to do that. Just ask the Genius that is helping you.

2 & 4) Apple Stores as far as I know do not carry refurbished machines in the store. They are only available on the Apple Refurb Site.

3. Luke1robb thread starter macrumors 6502a

Luke1robb

Thanks for the quick response, do you think I could call Apple Care or ask the genius to do the swap through Apple Care and hence be able to get one of the refurbed models?

4. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

How long have you had the MacBook for? Because if you are still in the 14 day grace period, you can probably just return yours and then use the money on the refurb site. But I'm not sure about doing the entire exchange through the phone or whatever without exchanging it in store.

5. Luke1robb thread starter macrumors 6502a

Luke1robb

I originally bought it on the 17th of October, but that was the first one, then the second one (first had a hard drive failure), I got towards the end of October, so now I'm not within the 14 day grace period. Anyone else have input? Thanks again for the help D.

6. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Yeah no problem, I do have an idea, but I'm not sure how well it will work for Apple products since I made the switch when the new MacBooks were released.

But my idea was to take your MacBook into the store, and instead of asking for a replacement there, just ask if they can possibly put it on a gift card or something, and then just use the gift card to purchase a refurb 2.4GHz. Of course, the best way to find this out would be just to go into the Apple store itself and just ask one of the Geniuses.

7. aethelbert macrumors 601

It's two and a half months old... I'd be surprised if they did anything but laugh.

8. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Exactly. Apple will not do anything other than repair your loose battery cover and your hinge issue.

9. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

I swapped out the 2.0 for the 2.4 w/o a problem, but mine was within the 14 days.

10. Luke1robb thread starter macrumors 6502a

Luke1robb

Even if a Genius documented the issue and said, if it persists and gets worse, you can swap it out if its really bothering you? I appreciate the feedback and hope that they don't turn me away, although as long as they fix the problems I guess I could stick with the 2.0 GHz Macbook that I have..... I love it!

11. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

hope everything works out to your satisfaction.

12. CoreyMac macrumors regular

you have to do a song and a dance with upper management on the phone (AppleCare) to try and get an upgrade swap. From my experience with apple products, if you want a replacement, they will only replace it with the same product..not the better more expensive one. I had problems with my EDGE iPhone (after the 3G one came out) and they swapped it with a refurbished Edge phone.....but I took it home, gave them a whole schpeel on the phone and they upgraded me free to the 16GB 3G iPhone.....

Squeaky wheel gets the grease...if you dont call and give them a hard time you'll most certainly be stuck with what you got. I also called them 2 days ago about iLife 09 because I bought my Aluminum 2.4 MacBook on December 14th, and of course Apples iLife $9.99 upgrade policy is for macs bought from January 6th and on.....so I called, made a little stink and they gave me more than half off instead of paying $79. Im getting iLife 09 for $32 including shipping. :)

13. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

It really depends on the genius. I had a couple issues (dust under the the screen, computer was clicking and the genius and i weren't sure if it was the HDD or dvd drive and my headphone jack was messed) with mine and they replaced it. At first the guy said it would take a few days but then he's like "uhh... I'll give you a new one I have too many repairs to do" :eek: This was around Christmas.

14. Luke1robb thread starter macrumors 6502a

Luke1robb

iLife '09???

So here's my new question.... If I bring my macbook in early next month when iLife 09 is shipping on laptops, will my replacement come with iLife 09? I'm trying to figure out a way to get it without biting the $79 bullet. Any thoughts?

15. Kevlar macrumors 6502

I seriously doubt they will replace the computer because of a loose battery cover, they will either fix the current or just install a new one. Sorry but any apple genius who would replace a machine like that with a brand new one would probably get fired. And if you don't want to spend $79 on '09, don't update too it.

16. Luke1robb thread starter macrumors 6502a

Luke1robb

So I've figured out a way of getting iLife 09 for less than $79, $39 to be exact, but back to the original matter....

I think the idea of asking for the gift card isn't a bad one, I figure I'll ask to have my computer fixed, if they tell me they're just going to replace it, then I'll ask if its possible to upgrade and/or explain my situation and see if they'll put it on a gift card. I'll let everyone know how it went.

But does anyone think that if I get it replaced when iLife starts being put on laptops, that I'll get one with or without iLife 09?

17. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

@OP: I was just curious what the impetus is that prompts you to want to upgrade from the 2.0 aluminum? Has it not been powerful enough for you?

18. Luke1robb thread starter macrumors 6502a

Luke1robb

It's been pretty powerful for me, its just that I'm thinking long term and thinking I'm gonna probably keep this laptop for 3-possibly 4 years and I don't want to regret not having enough processor. Also, the extra 90GB of drive space and illuminated keyboard are nice add-ons as well. Do you think I don't need it? I'm contemplating putting Windows 7 on it, but still not sure. Anyone want to persuade me on whether or not I need the upgrade?

19. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

I don't know- it's a tough call. I ask because I'm in a similar situation. I just got the 2.0 a few days ago but keep thinking I should upgrade to the 2.4. Honestly, I don't think the .4 difference is honestly that crucial to anything I plan to do with my MacBook. I ran Aperture, Logic, GarageBand, iMovie, CS3, and plenty of other heavy apps on my 1.83 Core Duo WhiteBook without too much trouble so I expect this MacBook to be quite capable. It's more of an OCD thing that makes me want to get the upgrade. :D

It comes down to basically finances keeping me from running out to do it right now. It took a lot to convince the wife I "needed" this one, and an extra $300 is going to be a tough fight... :eek: Plus, that's $300 that I could put towards RAM and a 500 GB HDD. And, once I'm at the $1600 mark, it's hard not to think that the MBP is only another $300 away, and on and on. At some point, one has to just be happy with what they've got! I have until next Friday to figure it out so I'm going to keep pondering...

I don't believe, however, that going to the 2.4 is going to be much of a way to "future proof" your purchase. t basically comes down to what is going to make you happy. If you think you are going to regret the decision not to update throughout the life span of the MacBook, you might want to consider it. Otherwise, the 2.0 is an extremely capable machine.

The thing is, given that you purchased the machine so long ago, the chances of you being able to exchange for a 2.4 and pay the difference are very slim. If needed, Apple will definitely replace it for the same model, but an upgrade is going to be a tough battle.

20. Luke1robb thread starter macrumors 6502a

Luke1robb

I agree with you on the OCD thing, which it probably is more for me. On the upgrade for you, I would say you should have just bought the refurbished 2.4 MacBook for $1399 or.... the 2.4 MacBook Pro for $1699.

21. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

I bought my whitebook from BestBuy a few days before the aluminum one came out. Once I learned of the aluminum one, I wanted to exchange. Best Buy let me do so no questions asked. Most places will let you do this if you are 'upgrading' (spending more money)

EDIT: I just re-read and saw you are out of the 14days. I was within mine when I did what was stated above.

22. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

Yeah, I wish the aluminum refurbs were on the Apple Store when I bought this. Oh well, c'est la vie. I effing love this computer!

23. Luke1robb thread starter macrumors 6502a

Luke1robb

+1

24. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

As pointed out, you probably won't even get a replacement...

They repair computers greater than 14 days old, not replace them.

25. JAJ macrumors member

wait one second, you're the only person i've seen mention the black plastic hinge behing slightly short. what did the genius say about that? mine is only about a 1/16th of an inch too small but i worry about dust...