[MacBook] Exposé not working after disconnect from monitor?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ramparts, Jan 8, 2009.

1. ramparts macrumors regular

I have a black MacBook (bought June 2008), and usually keep it hooked up to an external monitor (not clamshell, not mirror). Sometimes when I disconnect the MacBook from the monitor, Exposé stops working. I searched around and the only solution I could find was to relaunch Finder, but that isn't working. Any other ideas? Thanks!

2. madog macrumors 65816

madog

After unplugging the display, go into Sys Prefs, Displays, Display Tab, and hit the Detect Displays button.

Just a theory, but it sounds like Expose thinks there is a display still attached and acts accordingly, but since there isn't it appears to be out of whack. Maybe hitting the Detect Displays button will reset whatever setting that is and "fix" it.

Another possible solution to my theory, is changing the screen resolution in that same window and then changing it back to normal. This would work as to force a screen detection and possibly revert the setting.

Lastly, open up your Utilities folder, launch the Activity Monitor, find the Dock process and force quit it.

Edit: That might have an effect on Expose itself. Or even try quitting Expose if that's a possibility through the activity monitor. If that works, you can make, or find an applescript online somehwere that kills the dock [If I was at home I might be able to figure it out], which you could then save on the desktop (or even in the dock).

3. ramparts thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks! I actually thought of detecting displays, too, and that didn't work, but I'll try the other two.

Last night, it started working around the time that I plugged my laptop into a power source, but I'm not sure if that was the cause.

4. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

yeah this happens to me every single time, only thing that fixes it for me it's a restart