Macbook fan constantly around 3000-3500rpm - High Airport Temps?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by aphexii, Nov 24, 2008.

1. aphexii macrumors 6502

CPU usage is low, averaging about 3-8%, usually kernel_task at the top. No errant processes as far as I can tell and the system doesn't feel very hot to the touch.

I'm used to the fans running at a constant 1700-1800rpm all the time but lately (the past week maybe) it hasn't gone below 3000. Its not loud, but its definitely noticeable.

Temps in iStat show (C);
    HD: 33
    CPU A: 61
    Airport: 75
    Enclosure Base: 31
    Heatsink A: 58
    Heatsink B: 59
    Mem Bank A1: 52
    Northbridge: 55

I know the airport can run hot, but 75C seems way up there. Any idea what's going on here? My macbook is up on a Rain Design M-Stand, ambient temp in the room is around 73F. Not doing anything network intensive, in fact, just browsing the web a bit.

Any ideas whats going on?

2. sporadicMotion macrumors 65816

sporadicMotion

I find my airport hits that temp too. It usually doesn't hit that temp unless I have my USB ports used though. I think your CPU is a little warm though.

3. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

How do you get the Airport to show up in iStat? i'm running istat pro, and i get all the other ones EXCEPT airport... :confused:

4. rebelmaker macrumors newbie

rebelmaker

If your Airport card is running above 70, you should be glad, not worried, that your fans are working fine and going all the way up to 3500rpm. In fact, you might want to set your fans to run at a minimum of 3500rpm when powered by the adaptor.

I set my MacBook Pro fans to run at a minimum of 3500rpm using iStat when powered and I've read on some forums of people setting their fans to run at 4000rpm. I do it to keep my CPU, GPU and Memory Controller temperatures below 70ºC. I live in the tropics where it's 31-35ºC all year long, so heat is a big issue for my Mac. On top of that I have an external USB fan below the MacBook. With that, I'm able to keep the average temperature below 60ºC. It's better that my fans wear out, instead of my motherboard, CPU or RAM which are more expensive to replace.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

2 year old thread.