Macbook freezes router?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mcmanus7, Dec 1, 2009.

1. mcmanus7 macrumors 6502a

Alright here's the deal.. I have a macbook 2,1 (10.6.2).. I'm using a netgear WGT624 V3 updated to the newest firmware which has worked really well for me...

On the wireless network I have a wireless printer, my macbook, and 2 pc laptops.

I can connect via WIFI using all computers... the issue is that if I am surfing on my Macbook and I goto a website that is picture intensive ie. a forum thread with a bunch of wallpapers or sports pictures some will half load and then freeze the router.

once the macbook freezes the router it has to be reset and the entire network goes down. If I visit the same sites on the pc's there's no issue.

Any ideas on how to fix this?? 99% of the time there's no issue with regular websites but any website that has a lot of pictures on it that need to load ie. a webforum with pictures posted will cause this issue.

Thanks.

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

What do you mean it freezes the router? The router won't work with other computers until it's restarted either? Is there anything unusual going on with its diagnostic lights? Can you access the router web config page?

3. mcmanus7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

The router itself does not give off any diagnostic lights... it appears normal... the router cannot be logged into during that time and no computers can access the router (ethernet or wifi). The router will not work with any computer until it is reset.

4. belvdr macrumors 603

Sounds like the router is dying. Typical Netgear junk.

5. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Try resetting the router to the factory settings. I had similar problems with random disconnects, and a reset fixed the problem.

6. mcmanus7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

but why would it only be having an issue with the MacBook???

I do some pretty heavy downloading using the other two pc's and there's no issues with them.

7. belvdr macrumors 603

The router can't tell your MacBook from any other machine from a network perspective. I think it's a fluke.

8. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

9. mcmanus7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

sorry blue was responding to belvdr when you replied.

I'll give that a shot... complete factory reset.