MacBook freezes, Windows-style?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cleanup, Jul 15, 2007.

1. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

My MacBook froze while watching this retarded Youtube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?search=&mode=related&v=VqwcesixkQg

It's a couple of kids fighting in a parking lot. hehe! amusing.

Anyways... that was a first. Never happened on my iMac before. Never even knew it happened. All I ever had before was Finder hangups (beachballs) and a kernal panic or two.

The MacBook's only about three weeks old. What causes random Windows-style freezes, where everything just completley locks up and you hear the audio repeating over and over? Should I be worried? Is this common?

thanks.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It's difficult to say why this happens because there are quite a few different things that could contribute to it. Console in the Utilities folder may have caught something in its crash logs...

What sort of third party hardware do you have? What sort of third party apps and hacks are you running? Was the machine running very hot? These are just a few questions to keep in mind next time it happens. :)

3. limamarie macrumors newbie

Same problem

Hey I'm having the same problem and I just purchased my macbook pro today. Really sad because I was watching videos on youtube on all the cool stuff you can do with the macbook pro when youtube froze. I could still hear the video but the audio onthe screen was frozen. Does anyone know what that is all about?

4. HBOC macrumors 68020

5. celticpride678

It's YouTube, of course it's Flash based. There is about a 10% chance that this poster was running the HTML 5 beta program.

Try installing Adobe Flash 'Gala' Player from Adobe Labs.

6. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

Deadlock like that is usually caused by sloppy OS coding. Poor resource management is the main cause. It's not limited to Windows, but WAS very rare on Macs. I'm seeing a lot of people complaining about freezing with the newest batch of Macbooks, so it could be related to the i-series processors in this case.