Macbook Going in for repair - What are your opinions on Apple UK repair quality?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by hamzab, Jan 19, 2009.

1. hamzab macrumors 6502

Hi All

After many MANY issues with My beloved 7 - 8 month Macbook black 2.4ghz, 2gm RAM, 250GB HDD I have decided its time to take it in for a repair

The issues are as follows

1) Cracked Keyboard, right palm rest area where the magnet touches the palmrest area, this has led to:

2) Due to there being the crack, the magnet actually fits neatly into the crack when the lid is closes, this has scratched the right maget and the LCD bezel

3) The LCD has a purple horizontol line going through it, cant see it all when on net where there is a white backround like in Macrumors forum however when watching a film where it is black the purple line is highly visible making film viewing difficult

4) On the left bottom side where the two screws are located there is a "Bulge" as in the plastic housing is loose, this affects the entire left side where the ports are more or less but in between the two screws and to some extent up to the headphone jack you can practically push it in around 2mm, when doing this it makes a really annoying squeaky sound. Due to the bulging, there is a small crack forming under one of the two screws

5) This Baby has major overheating issues, right now Ive just got back from College and had this thing on for about an hour, just with simple Safari Browsing the CPU has temp of 55 degrees celsius and airport card is a whopping 64 degrees celsius, this will easily rise to a temp of around 60 for the CPU and around 68 for the airport card in the next hour again with simple internet browsing such as looking at forums and news

6) The Hinge is very loose, If I pick up my macbook and sort of shake it like thurst it forward the Hinge will come move and I could technically close it like that but cant as it hits hard.

Ive found it really disgusting that paying a small fortune for this laptop (Im a student and this Mac really required some hard work to pay for it) It has this many problems, I was going to give it in earlier but as this is my primary computer I didnt have the time to give it in but now as Exams are over I think it needs a major repair, even an upgrade which Im sure I deserve

So as a newbie to this Apple repair process what happens, Ive booked a genius bar appointment for tomorrow (can change if needed) Do I simply walk up to the genius and tell him my problems, and what to Apple do, do they repair it in store or send it out as Ive read some pretty bad stories about how Apple take care of your product, ive got a small few scratches on the bottom base which are unavoidable and one small hairline one the back but other than that its in tip top condition

Please adivise, I will be much grateful

Thanks

HamzaB

2. hamzab thread starter macrumors 6502

BTW I forgot to mention, I think due to the heat, it has also shut down on me twice

3. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

55 degrees sounds about right... I'm on an Alu. MB and I'm at 50 while browsing the web and MSN.

4. hamzab thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmmm... maybe for CPU but what about the 64 degrees (actually 68 degrees) right now for the Airport card

Im going to give it in and see what Apple say, if they repair it and all the issues are resolved but if theres even the slightest thing wrong with it after that I think Im going to call Apple customer relations, having a macbook with this many problems is unacceptable

Im reset the SMC and PRAM but still no idea why Airport temp is so high and CPU getting so high so quickly with moderate use

5. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

Just explain your problems and they will make all needed replacements.

6. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Its normal for the Airport card to be hot i would think. Its an N card and is a very active component with all the data transmission going on.

You think your temps are bad. Try owning a Core Duo machine where temps go as high as 80C-90C when stressed and that was normal, with an average temp of 70-75C. You have high end components (excl GPU) in a small tight space. Things will get hot...

But your other problems do need fixing. However your temps seem normal. Also AppleCare repairs can be good or bad depending on who works on your machine, sometimes things go well and sometimes they don't...which is why it's is recommended you give the system a thorough check before signing/leaving the store

7. hamzab thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks MysticMage couldnt get your post in here as I dont know how to quote twice lol

Daneoni, thanks for the tips as well, Ill definatly make sure I leave the Macstore with a good mac, any problems and Ill be at them lol

Also regarding the temps, my cousin owns the same model macbook as me and her mac's CPU doesnt go above 45 degrees with normal internet surfing and the airport card is an astonishing 53 degrees! Im going to have a word with them but I know the genius' are going to be like "Its the normal temperature" but ill have a strong firm pleasant conversation, hopefully Ill pick out a genius who looks kind not a hardcore apple fan who thinks me getting a rightful repair means him losing wages, aren't people like me and you who take in Macs ACTUALLY keeping these people employed?

Anyway thanks both of you, at least you two have bothered to help, around 50 views and still people cant even bother to write a few sentences

8. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Your temperatures are fine - 60C is normal for CPU in a C2D MacBook.

I am not convinced that the Airport sensor is accurate - it is hard to believe that the Airport card runs 10-15C warmer than the CPU !!

Apple repair service is usually excellent but it just depends on who you get !!

9. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Are you sure conditions are the same i.e. is she plugged in or running on battery because components get downclocked when running on battery as opposed to AC power. Also every computer isn't manufactured 'exactly' the same...there will be slight differences such as amount of thermal paste applied to processors

10. hamzab thread starter macrumors 6502

We were both running on Battery power and we had the Macs on for about 2 hrs

Also, Do you think they'll repair or replace? I actually want a repair as I find this Black Mac to be rare now not many 2.4ghz ones out there!

11. Mackan macrumors 65816

The best would be if they replace it with the newer Alu MacBook. It will not have the palm rest crack design flaw, and it will run much cooler, and be more quiet. Basically, everything is much better with the new model. Except that you have to get used to metal...

12. WinkWink726 macrumors regular

WinkWink726

for as much as it sounds like you have going on... they might as well just give you a new computer!

13. hamzab thread starter macrumors 6502

I Dont know guys, Ive kinda become attached to my Blackbook, I want to have something thats gone down in History (although sometime known for its faults)

These Black Mac's are kinda rare now, and pretty soon everyone will be upgrading to the new Alu books

Think, do you still own your old titanium powerbook? Or have you gone with the trend

Ill see what they say, if they make a good job out of repairing it then Ill keep the black mac, but if theres anything wrong after repair then Ill ask for an upgrade. My genius bar meeting is in one hour

Will let you guys know the outcome. Thanks all

HamzaB

14. hamzab thread starter macrumors 6502

Update!

Just got back from Apple store, and to say the least I was DISGUSTED by what the Genius told me

He literally tried to tell me that it was MY FAULT that the LCD had a purple line going through it, becase It was being pushed by something? WTF

He then told me its MY FAULT that the Hinge is loose, "its been opened and shut too many times" were his words, I mean come on, after only 7 - 8 months how can it become so loose that quickly?

Then he said the overheating of the CPU and AIRPORT CARD was being caused by the Istat Pro widget as it was using too much CPU power, it barely uses 2%! He also was speechless about the random shutdowns, he checked the Console app himself and saw I had had 3 shutdowns for no reason, he still said the Istat software was intefering with the CPU causing it too use so much power and overheat then shuts down! Come on dude its a 2.4ghz processor, it is supposed to handle WAAAAAAY more than an Istat program! What happens If i say im using Photoshop and it blows up, He'll say you werent meant to use that program? Sheesh!

Lastly, the loose side was a KNOWN problem but he said there is no point in replacing it!

The only thing he did repair was the Keyboard which had the crack which is also a KNOWN problem so why couldnt he have fixed the loose side at least!

I didnt complain I was firm and pleasent and accepted what he said however after 2 - 3 days should i just ring apple customer relations and discuss this matter further? I mean I still will come back to a faulty LCD, loose side which is near to cracking, overheating CPU and Airport card and annoyingly loose hinge. I think I have a good case with Apple Customer relations but what do you think is my best Course of action? Please help as Ive been left dishearted with this!

thanks

HamzaB