Macbook got wet, and now I'm pretty sure its toast, Although I still have a question

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by robwayno, May 17, 2009.

1. robwayno macrumors newbie

My macbook got wet the other night, although it was closed so I didn't think it got too wet, although I immediately tried to turn it on (hindsight is 20/20 and now I realize how stupid that was). Its been fan drying the last couple days, but I have a strong feeling it's dead. I went to the apple store and of course they don't cover water damages. They said they can repair it all for $750, but I'm not mister money bags here and don't wanna fork up that much money unless I desperately need to.

So heres my question. After it drys out completely and does not work, is there a good excuse/lie I can use to say it just stopped working on its own? Is there another common cause of macbook failure that was not caused by the user? I will do my best to hustle this lie to the apple hotlines to hopefully get a warrenty covered repair. Also when I send it in to apple running this lie, are they're sensors inside the mac that show water damage? If so can I remove them or fix them without them being skepticle?

2. samac92 macrumors 6502a

yes there are water sensors, and they will probably see signs of corrosion too.
    theres nothing you can do really, sell it on ebay as spare parts?
    or check if you have it covered on home contents insurance

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

What you are suggesting is fraud, pure, simple, pre-meditated and intentional. This is a crime. It is no different to stealing.

Yes Macbooks have multiple moisture sensitive stickers in them. And when you took it to an Apple Store they will probably have logged this against the serial anyway.

In short: take responsibility for your actions. Either pay for a repair or a new laptop. Don't be a common criminal.

4. morrisman1 macrumors 6502

let it dry out for about a week before you try to start it up again

if still no joy then sell it for parts to help pay for a new one or talk to your insurance company

5. JDee macrumors 6502a

So what if it's fraud? I bet you would do it if this happened to you.

6. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Working for a store that repairs Macs, I see this happen all the time. In fact, most people lie and claim that "I don't know what happened, it just stopped working all of the sudden" -- that's when we open it up and see corrosion on anything metal on the inside of the machine.

In addition, Apple keeps records. If, when you went to the Genius Bar, they entered that tidbit in there, regardless of if you call Apple they may already know. The most you can do is try to claim you know nothing, but either way, they'll find out.

7. Apple Corps macrumors 68030

This guy joins our community today and his first post is to ask us for advice on how to defraud Apple and be dishonest.

That says it all I believe.

8. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...um, no - take responsibility for your F'up and be a "man" not a DB...

9. JDee macrumors 6502a

Are you saying to me that you wouldn't lie in order to save your 1000$+ computer?

10. armoguy94 macrumors 6502

That is not something for you to say so don't be a fool. You can't speak for anyone else but you. I would not do this personally because it's against my religious values, but then again (and this is not justification for you to do this) Apple steals our cash by overpricing their systems dramatically and then forcing you to purchase their basically noncustomizable systems in order to use their OS.

11. JDee macrumors 6502a

I don't mind if that's against your religious beliefs. Up to you to decide - although I am saying...

If most people on this forum were in this situation and lied to try and fix their system they would do it.

That's all I'm saying.

Also - I'd appreciate if you didn't call me a fool - I am allowed to express my own opinion without someone stopping me.

Thanks.
    [/rant]

12. armoguy94 macrumors 6502

Ok well I apologize for calling you a fool and I didnt realize someone would actually take that personally but apparently you did so I'm sorry, it's a common word in my vocabulary when someone acts as if they can speak for anyone else but themselves.

I understand your point now that you have clarified it but what you said earlier was not "if everyone on this forum was given the choice to lie and get their money back most of them would do it," you were saying "you WOULD do it" at first, therefore I got very offended because you were acting so sure on that and it's something I would never do no matter what the item and the cost of it is.

13. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...if it was totally my fault, no I would not.

I would also buy a new machine rather than try and fix a dead one.

If any of my friends did it, they would man up and pay for it as well.

Its all about how you choose to live your life.

14. RandomKamikaze macrumors 6502a

RandomKamikaze

Why not open it up yourself and see if the moisture stickers have changed colour?

Also, personally, I wouldn't lie about it. It's becasue of people doing that, and not just with Apple products, but all products, and things also like people shop lifting, that the average honest consumer has to pay more for a product when they have done nothing wrong.

15. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Lovely, the OP wants help committing fraud and another poster condones it. Where the hell does this lack of morals and sense of entitlement come from?

16. Germwise macrumors regular

Not to hijack the thread or anything but I'm planning a bank robbery next week and I'm looking for a professional driver and hacker....

for crying out loud, dry your computer and see if it works. If it doesn't, c'est la vie.

Also, rdowns, I must say. I love your sig.

17. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

thats very funny but a relevant analogy

18. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

No I wouldn't. When some twunts tried to steal my uninsured bike some years ago and destroyed the frame I could have taken out insurance on that day, waited a week and then called the cops/reported it to the insurance. But I didn't. I paid for the repairs myself.

You may have the morals of a common criminal, but I don't and I don't take kindly to you slandering my name in public.

19. CalMin macrumors 6502a

CalMin

To the OP, I know you've made a costly mistake here, but don't try and coax a freebie from Apple for it. This just makes laptops more expensive for everyone and makes warranties more restrictive. You'll waste a bunch of time trying to make a case for yourself, arguing with Apple and only end up frustrated.

It's dishonest at best and fraud at worst. If you're going to do it, don't drag forum members into it. Next time take out insurance.

20. justflie macrumors 6502a

justflie

He hasn't written back. It could quite easily just be someone making an account, putting such a silly question out there, and watching the comedic debate ensue. Let's not get too worked up about it now. :p

21. chinarider macrumors regular

Who knows, but it seems to be happening more and more.

And these same people Whine about how everything is so expensive - But fail to realize that their lack of responsibility for their actions actually helps drive the price up because we ALL pay for the Morons.....

China

22. JDee macrumors 6502a

Who hasn't written back? Me? Oh, I haven't written back because you guys decide to call me morons when I'm a genuine person who is thinking of anyone who would try their luck if they spilt a liquid on their 1000+ computer.

Oh yes, and also... the guy above me - who did you say you're paying for?
    I didn't understand that.

23. cgratti macrumors 6502a

cgratti

24. steamed.hams macrumors 6502

steamed.hams

You're not a moron, you're just dishonest. The opposite of genuine, really.

Get back to us after you graduate high school.

25. justflie macrumors 6502a

justflie

No, JDee, not you. I was referring to the original poster, hence my reference to making a new account to post here. Let's not get too uppity now where we don't read the posts clearly and then jump to conclusions.