Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

daonesteven

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2007
Baltimore, MD
Basically what the title says. My 2011 MBA 11" will always charge once the magsafe is connected but the light that comes on the magsafe doesn't turn on like almost 25-50% of the time. It will come on however once I wiggle it a little towards one direction, if that makes sense.

Any input on what the problem might be?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Basically what the title says. My 2011 MBA 11" will always charge once the magsafe is connected but the light that comes on the magsafe doesn't turn on like almost 25-50% of the time. It will come on however once I wiggle it a little towards one direction, if that makes sense.

It sounds like you have a bad connection, which could be caused by a dirty or obstructed charging port or MagSafe connector, or it could be your charging port connection to the logic board may be faulty. Check out the link for Troubleshooting MagSafe adapters at the bottom of the CHARGING section of the Battery FAQ. Also, for battery, power, or charging issues, you might try resetting the SMC.
The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

Comment

dbroncos78087

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2013
Northern Virginia
First thing that I would start with is whether you are using the charger that it came with or perhaps you have a MBP charger with the little adapter?

Is there another computer that you could test it on? Perhaps a friend or family members laptop. I would check this regardless of what type of charger that you're using.

If you're using the older charger with the adapter piece, I would remove it and try finding a MacBook Pro that you can test the charger on.

Comment

TheRealDamager

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2011
I've noticed this as well. When I plug in my Air, especially if I'm using the new magsafe adapter with an older power supply. I just watch for the light, and if I don't get it, I wiggle the connector.

Comment

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
my 2010 macbook pro light would occasionally go out on the adapter but it still continues to charge. I can wiggle it and get it to light up but it usually eventually goes out again. as long as it continues to charge i dont pay attention to that idiot light.

it has the L power adapter which seems very finicky.

Comment

jimmy4ever

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2013
Macbook is charging but light only comes on when I wiggle the port Reply to Thread

I think the problem is with the ac adapter.
Just buy a new AC adapter and problem solve, or if you can fix the ac adapter it's even better and cheaper.

----------

I think the problem is with the ac adapter.
Just buy a new AC adapter and problem solve, or if you can fix the ac adapter it's even better and cheaper.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.