Macbook is charging but light only comes on when I wiggle the port

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by daonesteven, Nov 19, 2013.

1. daonesteven macrumors 6502

Basically what the title says. My 2011 MBA 11" will always charge once the magsafe is connected but the light that comes on the magsafe doesn't turn on like almost 25-50% of the time. It will come on however once I wiggle it a little towards one direction, if that makes sense.

Any input on what the problem might be?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It sounds like you have a bad connection, which could be caused by a dirty or obstructed charging port or MagSafe connector, or it could be your charging port connection to the logic board may be faulty. Check out the link for Troubleshooting MagSafe adapters at the bottom of the CHARGING section of the Battery FAQ. Also, for battery, power, or charging issues, you might try resetting the SMC.
    The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

3. sahni130 macrumors 6502

sahni130

This happens to me, as well as a good bunch of people I know. From reading the Apple support page, I understand that the pins on the adapter sometimes "get stuck" and so the light may not always light up, but it usually charges. So clean the ports and the adapter. If it bothers you, I would get a new adapter.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1713?viewlocale=en_US

4. Jefe's MacAir macrumors 6502

Sometimes the light stays on after I disconnect it. :confused::D

5. dbroncos78087 macrumors regular

First thing that I would start with is whether you are using the charger that it came with or perhaps you have a MBP charger with the little adapter?

Is there another computer that you could test it on? Perhaps a friend or family members laptop. I would check this regardless of what type of charger that you're using.

If you're using the older charger with the adapter piece, I would remove it and try finding a MacBook Pro that you can test the charger on.

6. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

I've noticed this as well. When I plug in my Air, especially if I'm using the new magsafe adapter with an older power supply. I just watch for the light, and if I don't get it, I wiggle the connector.

7. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

my 2010 macbook pro light would occasionally go out on the adapter but it still continues to charge. I can wiggle it and get it to light up but it usually eventually goes out again. as long as it continues to charge i dont pay attention to that idiot light.

it has the L power adapter which seems very finicky.

8. jimmy4ever macrumors newbie

Macbook is charging but light only comes on when I wiggle the port Reply to Thread

I think the problem is with the ac adapter.
    Just buy a new AC adapter and problem solve, or if you can fix the ac adapter it's even better and cheaper.

----------

I think the problem is with the ac adapter.
    Just buy a new AC adapter and problem solve, or if you can fix the ac adapter it's even better and cheaper.