Macbook Late 2009, is it worth it buy it or is it better a MBP?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Stinkytick, Oct 27, 2009.

1. Stinkytick macrumors newbie

I've been checking the market for a while, and was almost sure of buying a Macbook Pro, but was quite troubled with the price. However this unibody WhiteBook gave me second thoughts of buying it. It has everything I need! (I don't need IR as I have an Iphone that can work as a remote, or either FW or SD input)
    However those pictures in Engadget, well I'm not the most carefull person when it comes to laptops, but I sure don't use them like a chimp.

So I want to know if it those dents and scratches are major and common problem in all macbooks or if it was them who didn't take care of it as they should? And if it is a good option to a user that only uses it for normal activities or some photo editing (Photoshop) or gaming (games like Spore, Guild Wars, WoW).

And I need to clear my mind quickly, as a friend of mine is coming from USA next week and I want him to buy it, there as they are 270€ cheaper than in Portugal. (almost 350$)

Hope you can help me!

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

If it fits your need buy it. The reviews of it were just hoping for newer features, but if it fits your needs - get it.

3. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

I'm not sure about the denting, but glossy plastic is going to scratch. The remaining glossy white parts on my 2006 MacBook are covered in thin and shallow scratches.

If it really concerns you, get the base 13" MBP. It's a thinner, lighter and more robust machine, with a better screen and more ports.

4. andrewsd macrumors 6502

Screen

To post above. How is the screen on the MacBook pro better now. There both led now.

5. waynechriss macrumors regular

Correct me if i'm wrong but aren't the specs on the unibody macbook just as good as the macbook pro 13 with the exception of a bigger hard drive? And yes the glossy plastic will scratch very easily and it definitely doesn't feel as durable as the pro. i'd pay more for the pro for the aluminum unibody (for me, it does make a huge difference when thinking of buying that or the other) and the glass screen.

6. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

There's more to a screen than just the backlighting.

7. navyls macrumors newbie

I am in the same situation...i have to decide between MB and MBP...I think I'll go for the MB as it should have better wireless reception...The aluminum case reportedly acts as a faraday cage and limits the wifi on the MBP...(this is what I've read)

8. MacKiddyWiddy macrumors 6502

you'll be happier with the macbook i say, so long as your not an ape and look after it, you shouldnt get that much damage, nothing noticeable, the macbook also is much better to upgrade compared to the pro, as you can change hdd and ram and most other stuff[​IMG]

9. Stinkytick thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot for the help.

Another question are the scratches like those on the back of an Iphone after some months of use, or are they more "ugly" and deep?

BTW is Apple's Warranty coverage International? It means, can I left the laptop in a AppleStore in Portugal if there is any problem and it is still covered, or do I need to send it back to a store in USA so that they can solve the problem?

10. farmermac macrumors 6502a

Backlit keyboard is my favourite feature of my MBP

11. Stinkytick thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry for the bump, but seriously need help with these...:(

12. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

the new macbook is basically a non-aluminum unibody 13" macbook pro.

hardware-wise, the case is the only difference.

The rounded polycarbonate unibody looks much nicer than the previous generation's body, and who doesn't love the new trackpad? Also, the screen has been upgraded, it has same processor and ram as low end 13" MBP, same graphics, really same everything.

Its a 13" macbook pro without the aluminum. A much better deal than the previous white macbook.

13. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

They scratch about the same as an iPhone, and the warranty is international.

14. zbasarab macrumors member

I agree. But the MBP's screen is far superior to the MB's so your point is moot.

15. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

No, it's not the same, the previous whitebook was IMO a better deal. Aside from the battery life, there was more built in.

16. mnobre macrumors newbie

Great to see another portuguese member in this forums on my first day.
    Greetings mate!

As for your question international Warranty is 1 year, tho portuguese consumer law gives you 2 years warranty, tho you can buy apple care and get International Warranty for 3 years + phone assistance in case you need some extra help :).

As you have protection for iphones you can also buy for your macbook. I know these if you want the sugestion:

http://www.speckproducts.com/

Problem is...
    New mac is sooo new that there are none avaliable atm :p

Still you can get it later and reduce damage on your case.

Greetings,

Mário

17. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

:confused:

18. thunderboltspro macrumors regular

19. waynechriss macrumors regular

New macbook is much more durable than the June 2009 macbook. Just buy a skin for the top to make it nice and not scratch ($30) and you'll be fine.

20. brendu macrumors 68020

as i sit here in a dark room i couldnt agree more, although to the OP i cant say its worth the extra cost... the macbook is a great computer if you dont need firewire or sd card slot... they are really the only reasons to justify actually spending the extra money... and its a lot to spend for those cheap additions.

21. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I'd recommend the MBP (better screen) and, while the back-lighting perhaps, does not justify the extra cost, it is a feature that I especially love and find very useful (in common with some of the previous posters). Actually, I miss it, in my current work environment, which is explicitly Windows, unfortunately. And yes, Apple's warranty is international.

Cheers and good luck

22. Gish macrumors newbie

Hey, I thought that the new MB and MBP both had the same screens now, in what ways are they different??
    Tks
    Gish

23. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

my in laws have the new Macbook and had it for about 2 weeks now. There are no scratches at all and I think it's a sharp Macbook, I really like it. If it fits your needs, go for it.

24. teerexx52 macrumors 68000

teerexx52

I have one and the screen is outstanding.(macbook)