Macbook not receiving power

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mylogon, May 23, 2012.

1. mylogon macrumors newbie

Hello, All,

I hate having a low rating on forums and just coming along and asking questions, but unfortunately it can't be avoided really, so I apologise for that.

I have a Macbook A1181 that will not power up or charge the battery. The charger has been tested on another machine and works perfectly well, the battery is a brand new genuine replacement, yet it still will not show signs of charging or power. The green light on the charger is almost non-existent. There is a very very faint green light, and sometimes flashes green and orange, but again - very faint.

I have tried changing RAM, resetting the SMC, and other silly little things.

I really don't want to have to tell him the thing is fubar'd - that'd be a real shame. He said it one day just didn't start up, so he just stuck it in the cupboard for a few years. After getting it out, he then bought the new battery.

He said that after he bought the new battery it turned on, but died over night again.

I assume that this is due to it coming with charge, but not receiving power so just died. So, if what he is saying is accurate, the laptop is not completely goosed, just the power input....

Discuss.

Any ideas anyone? They would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Luke

2. SpetsnaZ99 macrumors member

Have you cleaned the power jack socket on the macbook that the charger plugs into?
    Couple of years in a cupboard could have accumulated dust.

3. iDutchman macrumors 6502a

Sounds like all you need is a new Magsafe board. It's a small connector that connects to the logic board (on the bottom side). You can see it on ifixit.com for instructions on how to replace it.

It's fairly straightforward and easy if you have experience/skills/courage.

4. mylogon thread starter macrumors newbie

I've ordered a new magsafe board to try. I can't believe how expensive they are in the UK. £20-30 for the part alone. I managed to get one from abroad though, so I will have to wait until I can update you. Speak to you soon-ish.