MacBook order shipped yesterday--could it be one of the new ones?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Kalmia, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Kalmia macrumors member

I apologize if someone has already asked something like this! I browsed through this forum and didn't see anything, and I wouldn't have the foggiest idea as to what I'd search for.

So I absolutely couldn't wait any longer and finally upgraded my machine to a Santa Rosa MacBook on Monday, which I ordered from the online Apple Store in the early morning EST. (I suspected that only the MBPs would get an upgrade today, which was obviously dead wrong! Hooray!) It shipped the same day by overnight and is currently on the truck to be delivered to me here. I figure it'll still be a few more hours before it gets here, but who knows.

Anyway, I'm basically wondering two things, now that this lovely new release has gotten me good and woken up!

1. Since the order was placed just the day before the new release, is there any chance that they went ahead and shipped me the newest model? I don't have any experience with this sort of thing, so I don't really know what to expect when the box comes.

2. Supposing it ISN'T the newest model, would it be at all feasible to leave the box unopened and take it to the nearest Apple reseller for an exchange? I don't have an official Apple Store here; it's just a certified reseller and repair location. I'm not sure if they'd honor the same sort of policy that the actual Apple Stores tend to do.

In the end, I am not too deeply worried, seeing as my aging CD MacBook Pro has served my needs quite well for the past couple of years, but it'd be nice to have the most future-capable MacBook of that price bracket that's currently available! Ah, if only.

Thanks in advance for any insight! I'll just be over here, pacing by the front door... :p

~Kalmia
    (still excited, Penryn or not!)

2. gameguy3001 macrumors member

1. Most likley, you will be receiving the "older" MacBook. I dont believe Apple has a policy of automatically updating your orders when new versions are released. Especially since it was shipped before it was officially released.

2. From my experience, I all depends on the reseller you take it to. I suggest calling them before making the trip to find out if they are offer exchanges. Another option is to call the Apple sales line and get them to exchange it for the newer one, you'll just have to wait a couple more days for the new computer again.

Also, try not to open the box, some resellers may make you pay more if the box is opened. But you can find out whether its a new computer or not by reading the info by the barcode.

Hope that helps :)

3. Kalmia thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your reply! The computer arrived, and here's what I found out:

As predicted, I did receive the older MacBook, which I did not open. I called my local reseller and was informed that they can't handle that sort of exchange, so I called Apple next and asked them about it. The lady I spoke to advised putting in a return authorization immediately and ordering the new version in the meantime. I was fortunate in that the online return process is really easy; with any luck, that'll go out today, and that part will be sorted out soon.

I think I'm going to go ahead and order the new version today, since with the outgoing MacBook shipping by overnight mail, the refund should process before the temporary hold on the funds clears. Hopefully my bank won't throw another roadblock in my face and make this any harder for me. This specific MacBook order has been a real ordeal, but that's another story for another post...

Anyway, thanks for your reply; I appreciate it! Fingers crossed for a quick and easy resolution!

~Kalmia