Macbook OSX 10.4.11 Blue Screen Freeze and CD-Drive not working

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Fluidlife, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Fluidlife macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I have searched hi & low to rectify my problem with the macbook but i've had no luck as yet.

My macbook has become increasingly slower to the point now of freezing on the blue screen at startup. In addition to this, the CD Drive does not work - it spits out the cd's and wont register the cd's at all. I see this as being a bit of an issue if I need to reinstall Mac OSX? My HD memory is down to around 5g also.

I was updating some music software (traktor) and then upon restart, I encountered the issue of the blue screen freeze.

Any suggestions welcome.

many thanks!

2. yadmonkey macrumors 65816

yadmonkey

When I hear "freezing", "blue screen", "slow", and that a drive is near capacity, my instinct says smart money is on the drive failing or pre-failing. First thing - back up!

I'd check the health of the drive... run a surface scan (Tech Tool Pro or the like) and check the SMART data.

Regardless of whether or not your drive is failing, it's time to upgrade it for capacity.

A new CD drive might be in order too - they don't seem to have very good lifespans, particularly the notebook optical drives.