Macbook Overheating (Not Print Jobs Related and SMC Reset tried)

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by DaveChappers, Apr 12, 2009.

1. DaveChappers macrumors newbie

I have a core duo macbook 1.8ghz and for a while now it has been getting very very hot. So that if im watching a video and looking at a web page the macbook will turn off. I have checked to see if there is anything grabbing all the cpu and there isn't. I have also tried to reset the SMC but that didn't help either

Since i have brought it I have changed the harddrive from 80gb to 120gb, and the case has been changed due to cracks.

I know macbooks tend to run hot, especially the older ones. But it never used to sound this loud or shut itself down.

Any ideas?

Or is it just getting on.

2. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

Are your fans running? Install iStat Pro and show us the result with a screenshot.

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

If Applecare is still active call them about the thermal shutdowns.

Otherwise, you might be buying a tube of thermal past and redoing it yourself. Might be the logic board, but trying to redo the thermal paste is generally a much less expensive last ditch hack.

4. DaveChappers thread starter macrumors newbie

@brop52 i have attached a pic from istat pro

@Sun Baked my applecare is long gone. I have heard about reapplying the thermal paste but it is something that has got me quite scared. Is there any good guides around on how to do it.

Attached Files:

5. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

I'd say it is a temperature sensor issue. Your fans are obviously working but the temps don't seem to be that high (relatively) and your CPU is far from being used that much.

I'd recommend you run the Apple Hardware Test. Run it from your Install DVD and hold down D. It may tell you if you have a hardware issue.

Remember that Apple will do the diagnosis for free. The repair won't be however but you can shop around for a decent deal at a repair shop or repair it yourself.