MacBook Pro '11 "Stops Charging" as soon as iMovie Exports Video.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iEeman, Apr 1, 2011.

1. iEeman macrumors newbie

2. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

the power supply cannot supply enough power for the computer and battery combined during extreme loads. in fact the power supply cannot supply enough for the computer at all, so during extreme loads your computer will actually be draining the battery, even though it is plugged in.

3. iEeman thread starter macrumors newbie

Implies that better to stay away from any such thing especially when you're traveling or have less battery.

Sounds a very big limitation of such a superior machine.

4. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Apple can easily make these exports single threaded. So instead of finishing in two hours and having a tiny bit of battery left, it would take 8 hours and not quite finish before the battery runs out.

Which one do you prefer?

5. iEeman thread starter macrumors newbie

6. fehhkk macrumors 6502a

fehhkk

Does this mean that the new MBPs need a higher capacity charger then? Maybe a 100W+ instead of the current 85W.

7. euphoria47 macrumors member

Are you using the right charger? There are so many chargers out there now, all different sizes and wattages. I find that when i use my "travel charger" which came form a first gen mba, pretty much any action that makes the fans go at 6000 rpm will be drawing enough power to make the light go from amber to green, not charging and actually draining. I do suspect that this is bad for the battery and I don't like doing it, but my proper charger is too big and heavy, and my laptop bag is already on the verge of collapse!

8. shiunn macrumors 6502

Really? Does this happen with the out of the box charger too? That's a little bit worrying as I'm about to make a big purchase!

9. Robbug macrumors member

If I remember correctly - under full load someone quoted total power usage to be around 87 watts. (needs to be verified). It would take quite a bit of time to run down the computer to 0% battery at that rate. I am sure there is some design reason as to why Apple did not include a 90W power supply. At least I would like to think so. It would boggle my mind if the engineers opted to not supply the computer with the full wattage if they could. Dunno just talkin out loud here.

10. LoneI2anger macrumors newbie

well known to happen during gaming too. any extreme processing or 3d rendering appears to do this. kind of odd if you asked me. my older 2009 mbp 15" at extreme conditions (imovie, gaming) never drained it, but my new 2011 model seems to slowly drain it during gaming now. are these machines that much more powerful that the powersupply isnt sufficient any more? :confused:

11. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

It's normal and tbh smart engineering on apples part!

12. axu539 macrumors 6502a

I've been noticing this issue too. Frankly, it's nothing to be concerned about, as I've been doing some pretty heavy Handbrake encodes for 5-6 hours at a time, and I've only managed to get the battery down to as low as 95%. Once the "drain" starts, it's very, very slow.

13. jayhawk11 macrumors 6502a

jayhawk11

This. Remember, if the max load is 90-95w on an 85w supply, your battery isn't being worked too hard. The new MacBook Pro has a 77.5 Watt-hour battery. If you're working it that hard for that long, it may be worthwhile to look at a Mac Pro or iMac.

14. harcosparky macrumors 68020

I would consider this a non-issue.

But if it truly concerns you, as the previous poster said .... perhaps a notebook isn't the machine for the job.

Q: Is this thread another one of those APRIL FOOLS thread? :eek: :D

15. WillEH macrumors 6502a

WillEH

I have the same problem also. But I think it's designed to be like this :confused: