Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

areskins

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 3, 2016
Hi my 2017 macbook pro 13 inch base model runs terribly slow just this day. Just checked that I still have 50gb of free storage. What would be causing the lagging? Im new to having macbooks. Any help is appreciated

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
How long have you had your MacBook?
If it is new to you, and the system was newly installed before you started using it, the system can take a few hours (or even a couple of days) as the search database builds, and the system caches settle down to normal.
If you have been using this for several days, then it may be some software that you have added to the system.
Check in your Activity Monitor, in the Memory tab. Is the memory pressure low (in the green area)? Are there processes that show a lot of CPU activity in the CPU tab?

Reactions: ruslan120

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
And download, install, and run MalwareBytes. Might have picked up something if you've installed free software from a sketchy site.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA
Does it have that 1.4 GHz processor?

I've been wary of that model because of the low clock speed. I was mad in 2016 when they launched the new MacBook Pros with a 2.0 GHz processor...

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
Hi my 2017 macbook pro 13 inch base model runs terribly slow just this day. Just checked that I still have 50gb of free storage. What would be causing the lagging? Im new to having macbooks. Any help is appreciated

50 GB out of how much? For optimal performance you need about 33% of the SSD to be unused.

areskins

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 3, 2016
How long have you had your MacBook?
If it is new to you, and the system was newly installed before you started using it, the system can take a few hours (or even a couple of days) as the search database builds, and the system caches settle down to normal.
If you have been using this for several days, then it may be some software that you have added to the system.
Check in your Activity Monitor, in the Memory tab. Is the memory pressure low (in the green area)? Are there processes that show a lot of CPU activity in the CPU tab?
Here’s a picture of the memory tab. I just got the macbook a week ago.

350mb on kernel_task
316mb on WindowServer
100mb on Finder
All other programs are 80mb and below

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
Here’s a picture of the memory tab. I just got the macbook a week ago.

350mb on kernel_task
316mb on WindowServer
100mb on Finder
All other programs are 80mb and below

There is no picture. Please take a pic of Activity Monitor showing the memory utilization and CPU utilization.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Did you buy a refurb (from Apple), or did you buy a used laptop?
If used (previously owned), then I usually recommend that you reformat the drive, and install a fresh system. You cannot know what a previous owner did (or left as a "surprise", just for you!)

sockdoggy

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2002
Brooklyn
Also have a 2017 13” that I find lags. 3.1GHz, 16GB RAM and 512GB SSD model so my conclusion is discreet graphics makes the difference.

JokerPower

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2017
My recommendations:

1. Uninstall apps you don't use
2. Check startup items. Disable everything you don't need to load with the system
3. Clean up the garbage with CleanMyMac

areskins

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 3, 2016
Thank you everyone for the replies! Currently, it's working perfectly for some odd reason without me doing anything. Will try to download the software suggested above.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.