Macbook Pro 13“ 2016+ Dell 4k display, or iMac 27" 2015?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ndolebay, Feb 26, 2017.

1. ndolebay macrumors member

ndolebay

No special need for portable, but current iMac is 500+ days old, and no rumors about new iMac, Apple may not hold an event till April.

Should I buy a mbp 2016+ a 4k display, or iMac 2015, or just wait...

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The iMac is superior in that it has a better CPU, GPU, the ram is upgradeable and its a 5k display.

I'm not knocking the MBP, but if you don't have mobility needs, I think the iMac is a better option.

3. bartvk macrumors 6502

bartvk

Wait if you can. But the iMac is still a stellar machine. A new generation could bring:
    - Kaby Lake, where CPU performance gains are disappointingly small according to the big sites like AnandTech
    - Thunderbolt 3/USB-C, which for me is very interesting but it really depends on each person

That's not really a whole lot, in my opinion.

4. ndolebay thread starter macrumors member

ndolebay

Thanks for your information, any rumors about the new design of iMac?

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Nope, no rumors yet, but people in the iMac forum are hoping to see something different.

6. Fishrrman macrumors G4

"any rumors about the new design of iMac?"

Really... how can they substantially change the design of the current iMac in a way that will make it much more appealing that the current design?

All the actual (and useful) "improvements" will be on the inside...

7. xb2003 macrumors 6502

xb2003

It's possible that the next GPU in the iMac could see notable improvement, if that's something that matters to you.

You said you had no special uses, and you are looking at a 13" MBP, which isn't all that powerful of a computer. Are you sure you wouldn't be better off with a Mac Mini?

8. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

If you can, definitely wait. Unless you go for an upper level 15" MBP, the iMac will be better in every way compared to a 13" MacBook.

9. ZapNZs macrumors 68000

ZapNZs

10. lauramayer macrumors regular

lauramayer

If your struggel is not real, please wait.

I have a feeling we will see new iMacs this year. There are not many roumors, but it is time for a new iMac.

If your struggle is real and you can not wait, get a new MacBook Pro with a nice monitor. If you need something buy it. If you can wait a little bit longer....do it. If there are new iMacs this year, you will regret it.

11. burgman macrumors 65816

burgman

If you can't answer such a basic question trying to decide between two completely different classes of machine, then maybe an Ipad Pro is all you need.

12. ndolebay thread starter macrumors member

ndolebay

Not really, I need a big monitor, mbp 13" also can support a 5k monitor. mbp is new and has mobility, iMac is more powerful, but old, and no rumors about the new one.

iPad pro, waste of money.