MacBook Pro 13" 11 hours and 28 Min Battery Life

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mrgiapanta, Apr 27, 2010.

1. mrgiapanta macrumors regular

10 Hrs? No it actually read 11 hours and 28 min.
    I had 2 hours and 30 min with 100% charge on my 4th cycle
    But after several Calibration now it reads 11 Hours 28 min at 100%
    Battery actually do last around 8 hours when used mildly with 40% screen light. With Transmission running and 80% light, 6-7 hours. Add the Video streaming and still 4-5 hours.

Sorry Steve Jobs for calling you liar about 10 hour battery life.
    I love my MacBook Pro 13" :)

2. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Wow, you just failed. They never said you'll get 10 hours exactly. It ranges depending on what you're doing, your brightness, and other variables. I once got my MacBook from 2007 to read that it had 7 hours and 2 minutes left.

3. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

Care to explain how he "failed"? He simply corrected his initial thoughts about Steve Jobs' statement of the battery life. What mrgiapanta did was called a compliment...I don't think you read his last sentence x_x

4. mrgiapanta thread starter macrumors regular

No I'm sorry but, you just failed.
    I never said I was expecting 10 hours exactly.
    Read it again. I'm just saying my battery life was terrible at the purchase reading only 2 hours and 30 min. But after proper Calibration now it even reads 11 hours and 28 min. Which is more than 10 hours. Then I talked about what actual battery life will be like when applications are running and when used in different light settings.

5. mrgiapanta thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you

6. thespazz macrumors 6502a

7. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

:D And the righteous shall prosper! lol

8. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

What people don't seem to realise is that giving battery life in hours is about the same as saying how many hours your car can drive with a single tank of fuel. How many miles you get out of a tank depends on driving style and road and weather conditions but will be reasonably close; but hours will be all over the place.

That 13" has a 63.5 Wh (Watt hour) battery. It can run 10 hours if you draw 6.35 Watt on the average. Just as an example, I looked at power consumption of a hard drive. Toshiba / Fujitsu hard drives have these numbers:

4.5 Watt while starting the drive (getting up to speed)
    2.2 Watt while seeking (trying to get to your data)
    1.9 Watt while reading / writing
    0.6 Watt while low power idling (whatever that means)
    0.18 Watt in standby
    0.13 Watt in sleep

If you do the maths: If your Mac uses 6.35 Watt with the hard drive in low power idling and runs for 10 hours, the same Mac will run 8.3 hours while constantly reading/writing and 10.8 hours with the hard drive in sleep mode. That's just the hard drive. (BTW according to TomsHardware, SSD drives are better in idle mode, but not when reading/writing and can actually increase power consumption).

Now this was just one variable. I think the biggest difference is probably the screen brightness. Hard to find numbers, but I found that a Samsung 17" LCD monitor uses 24 Watts - that alone would empty the 13" battery in 2 hours 40 minutes! Then WiFi, Bluetooth, CPU power. The CPU can draw an awful lot more than the 6.35 Watt on its own when running at full speed, like doing Handbrake encodings (useful) or displaying Flash adverts (useless). So it is no wonder that people report battery hours that are all over the place.

Numbers are hard to find. All you get is marketing numbers (like DDR3 RAM is 30% more power efficient than DDR2). I'd want to know how much Watt it takes if I add 4GB RAM to my Mac; it's impossible to find out.

9. Eltorero macrumors newbie

I don't think that's true. It uses 63,5 Watt each hour. Because in real life it DOES actually run 10+ hours under certain settings with display, cpu, hdd etc active. With 6,35 Watt it is simply impossible to do that.

10. Err0xx macrumors member

My Macbook Pro 17"

Hey - just posting my posts from another thread about my 17" MBP Battery results.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Err0xx
    I got the 17" i7 MBP with 8GB of ram and the 512GB SSD - I'm getting roughly 9.5 - 10 hours of battery life with nonstop usage (not sleeping or anything) with Google Chrome and Pages going nonstop. I'm a Law student in college and I have 3 2-hour classes and 1 1-hour class in a school day, for a total of 7 class hours per day. All of my classes are back to back and in the same building, so I just leave the computer open and go between them. I'm at about 25% brightness the whole time and at the end of my school day, I have about 30 - 35% battery left. Thats after over 7 hours of classes, so something is definitely up with your machine. One thing that I do have is the 512GB Solid State Drive; not sure how much power that saves over the standard type hard drive but it seems like 4 hours is very low. Make a shortcut to your Activity Monitor and place it on your desktop. Open it from time to time and see if there are any rogue applications running that are taxing your cpu or ram without you knowing it. I keep a check on my background activities, and with Chrome and Pages open (maybe 4-6 webpages at once) my CPU usage rarely goes about 3% (with 97% being free) and ram usage is typically about 75 - 80ish % free. Sometimes you can have things open or running that is using the CPU that shouldn't be - this will gimp battery life. Anywho, I hope you get things sorted out; when configured and used properly, the battery on this new MBP is a BEAST and should give you much more than 4 hours of use. Cheers, and good luck!

Err0xx
    As stated in my previous post, my claim to battery life IS based off of actual usage. The percentage of battery remaining in the menu bar is close to 100% accurate, the estimated run times may not be close, but the battery percentage is. Anyway, ran my computer for my 7 hour school day today, then left it on all the way home (disabled sleep and screen going off), which is about an hour drive. After I got home, around 4:15, I wrote a book review with internet open and pages and my computer finally went into forced hibernation at exactly 6:55. Thats over 10 hours of nonstop usage with the same brightness/processes open as in my quoted post. Sure, batteries and such may be different from machine to machine, but i don't see how they can be so different as to cause 4-5 hours of battery difference. Try using the same configuration and open processes as I am after you calibrate your battery. I don't understand why my battery life is so good, unless this Solid State Drive really does save that much power. Beats the heck out of me.

Err0xx

11. magbarn macrumors 68000

A 635 watt hour LiPo battery (which is what you would need to run a 63 watt computer for 10 hours) attached to a mbp would be quite the sight indeed.

12. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Ahh. I still don't understand how it said two and a half hours at time or purchase the jumped to over 11 hours, even with calibration. Maybe the battery wasn't full?

13. oplix Suspended

oplix

after calibaration, I'm showing 11:00 remaining on 97% battery life with WIFI on, running safari and 40% brightness with no keyboard backlight :)

14. wkw macrumors 6502

wkw

I just got the 13" mbp and the battery is amazing! I need to calibrate a few times to see if I can get more out of it

15. mjoshi123 macrumors 6502

mjoshi123

okay I'm still not sure what this battery calibration is and how it is done ? I got MBP last week and so far it has never shows about 7 hours on battery meter. This is to do with light surfing and screen resolution set at 40%. Can somebody please post step by step instruction for battery calibration.

16. Mark.W macrumors member

I've noticed that the MBP "guesstimates" an unrealistically high battery life if you check the meter after the computer has just been awaken from sleep. I've gotten estimates as high 12+ hours this way.

I doubt anyone has been able to achieve anything close to 12 hours in term of actual (rather than estimated) battery life.

17. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

A good SSD will push bat life to ~10 real hours. The whiners don't believe it but it's true.

cheers
    JohnG

18. Deeya macrumors member

Fail and Boxxy have no place outside of 4chan :rolleyes: