Macbook Pro 13" 2011... Is my graphics card failing?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jamie0003, Dec 20, 2012.

1. Jamie0003, Dec 20, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2012

Jamie0003 macrumors 6502a

My mac is about a year old and back in August, I accidentally spilled some water on it. I quickly turned the machine off and left it alone for a few hours.

Unfortunately I had to get the keyboard replaced as it had stopped some of the keys from working. Apple's hardware tests from the Genius bar confirmed the mac was otherwise fine, so I was very lucky.

However, in the last few days, I have noticed these weird oddities in Safari. Pages tend to load slower than normal, and very frequently I get errors saying Safari cannot connect to the server saying that the page cannot be reached, refreshing the page doesn't fix it but closing it and reopening seems to fix it, or switching to another site and switching back. I know this isn't my network as I have tried the same thing on multiple Macs.

And sometimes, when loading pages, text and images become all scrambled. I naturally assumed it was an issue with Safari itself, so I have tried everything to fix it; clearing caches, resetting safari, disk repair, nothing seems to fix it.

So, is this a sign of something hardware related, or could it be a glitch in OSX? I have attached an image showing what happens when pages load incorrectly, and will take more screenshots when it happens again.

Obviously I do understand that even though the mac first seemed ok when first submerged, it can cause hardware failure down the road.

I have also noticed one or two random graphic glitches appearing, but it's so infrequent and so random that i'm not sure if it's just something i'm making up in my head.

Screen Shot 2012-12-20 at 21.44.06.png Screen Shot 2012-12-20 at 22.02.06.png

2. GoPro macrumors member

Very unlikely that this fault is as a result the spill that you luckily overcame months ago.

Try reinstalling lion.

3. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Assuming you're using WiFi, does the problem happen when you're using Ethernet?

Does it also happen on other wireless networks?

4. Jamie0003, Dec 20, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2012

Jamie0003 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have yet to test this, but I will tomorrow when I go to work. I have found out it does seem to happen on my iphone as well, so it could be a network issue. Still, it's very odd and has never happened before.

EDIT: Gah, it's doing it again. Maybe it's an internal issue with safari?

Attached Files:

5. Mr MM macrumors 65816

Mr MM

6. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

I agree. this has happened to me in the past and is because of the internet connection

7. Jamie0003 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Could be, but isn't everything (images etc) usually stored in Safaris cache?

8. Mr MM macrumors 65816

Mr MM

not all of them