Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2016, Four Thunderbolt 3 ports) questions

Yebubbleman

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I'm considering going on either Swappa or eBay and buying a MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2016, Four Thunderbolt 3 ports). The purpose would specifically be to run Mojave and to use the Mac solely to run the myriad of 32-bit apps that have yet to (and/or most likely won't ever) make the jump to 64-bit to be supported in Catalina, Big Sur, and future Intel releases of macOS. Excluding first party and built-in apps, I wouldn't run any apps that can otherwise run natively on Catalina or Intel versions of Big Sur and beyond (as I already have a good Mac for that and will be buying a new one shortly to also do that). Given that, I have a few questions:

1. Apple has a few quality repair programs for this model of Mac; specifically the butterfly keyboard and the backlight cable. I'm pretty familiar with what the problem with the keyboard is (that it's not reliable in any sense) and how Apple is remediating it (by replacing it with their fourth/last generation keyboard regardless of whether the original model had that generation of keyboard in tow originally). I THINK I am familiar with how they're remediating the backlight cable issue, but I'm not 100% sure. They're replacing the display assembly with one that has a backlight cable that is longer and isn't subject to breaking at the hinge due to constant torsion (when the lid is opened and closed) caused by it not having enough length for flex. Am I right about this? Or is this something that Apple will merely replace with another failure-prone component?

2. Am I correct in that the same backlight cable issue is present in the MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017, Four Thunderbolt 3 ports) and MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017, Two Thunderbolt 3 ports) models as well, but not enough for Apple to expand the program to cover those models as well? If I'm shopping for a model that has the issue addressed by this repair program, I'd rather shop for a model ACTUALLY covered by the repair program. I'm not about to buy a Mac likely to have a $500 problem that Apple won't do crap about. Otherwise, I'd include the MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017, Four Thunderbolt 3 ports) in this next search as well.

3. Here's a really stupid question (and I'm 99.999% sure I know the answer already, I just want to make sure). If, Apple apps aside, all I'm doing on this Mac is running 32-bit apps in Mojave, is there a point to shopping for a Mac that has more than 8GB of RAM? If it helps, most of the apps are games. I could get Photoshop CS6 going (I wouldn't be stoked on the other CS6 apps as they aren't even retina display optimized). But I wouldn't be going crazy with any one particular non-game app (this is a 13" MacBook Pro after all). I wouldn't need to run more than one game at a time (and likely wouldn't be running many titles outside of Steam, which only permits one game to be launched at a time anyway). My web browser usage on this machine would likely be very low, if not minimal (it would go to zero once Mojave stopped receiving security updates a year from now); though I'd probably download Firefox or Chromium as an emergency supported browser to have at that point. But again, I'm not expecting to load this machine up with tabs as I have other Macs and PCs around that won't be left on an older OS in this fashion that will have 16GB+ RAM.

4. Other than what I've already noted here, is there anything else that I should be aware of regarding this particular generation of 13" MacBook Pro?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.