MacBook Pro 13" mid 2010 ( 7,1 ) , W7 Bootcamp 4.0 and AHCI ( question )

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by macenied, Aug 20, 2014.

1. macenied, Aug 20, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2014

macenied macrumors 6502a

macenied

Hi to everybody,

I just registered to macrumours after searching quite a while to get an answer to my specific question:

Can Windows 7-64 Bit be configured on a MacBook Pro mid 2010 13" ( nForce Chipset MCP89 ) to run in AHCI disk mode ? Performed OSX MBR Patch & W7 Regedit hints already, resulted in BSoD.

My system configuration:

MBP mid 2010 ( 7.1 )
    8 GB Ram
    480 GB Corsair Force GT SSD disk ( only SSD / HDD drive installed except internal DVD R/W SuperDrive )
    GUID ( GPT ) Partition Table

Bootcamp Windows 7-64 Bit running stable in Sata II IDE mode ( 9+ months ), other OS is OSX 10.8.5 ( AHCI 1.30 enabled, Link speed negotiated 3 GB ).

Any reply is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Eugen

Attached Files:

2. macenied, Aug 20, 2014

macenied thread starter macrumors 6502a

macenied

This is the SSD Performance I get under OSX 10.8.5

Attached Files:

3. MacMini-Windows macrumors newbie

For years I have been using the file "patchedcode.bin" to run Windows 7 and 8 in AHCI mode on my Mac mini's: 2010, 2011 mid models, 2011 and 2012 base models. Used Intel, Samsung and presently on Toshiba SSD's.

First install Windows, then make the Windows changes for changing to AHCI, subsequent boot in OS X and then patch the appropriate drive.

If you have a single internal drive then you will need to boot OS X on an external drive since the drive that has to be patched needs to be taken offline. I never managed to change to AHCI if OSX is on the same drive as the Windows that needs changing.

4. macenied, Aug 21, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2014

macenied

Thank you very much for your feedback, highly appreciated.

So I rummaged around and found a ( not so old ) My Passport Studio, attached it via Firewire 800 to the MBP, partitioned and formatted it with 2 Partitions ( GUID ) and backed up OSX to the second Partition using Time Machine. Restored OSX to the first Partition of the external drive and voila, have the OSX cloned now and can boot it from the external drive ( which is a great benefit anyways ).

Next step:

By searching about "pachedcode.bin", I stumbled upon this:

---

( source adminsehow.com )

October 14, 2012

How to enable AHCI support for Windows on an iMac, MacBook or etc

Filed under: Apple — Tags: AHCI, ATA, iMac, MacBook, MBR, Patch, SSD — admin @ 9:18 am

Apple does all the dirty tricks to show the iSheeps that Apple is a superior brand and provides superior performance compared to competition, the last one I found is that it disables AHCI support for Windows on its hardware. By disabling AHCI (which you have already paid for it and Apple hardware has this feature) it forces Windows to use ATA controller disk drivers which is considerably slower than AHCI and has less features. for example you wont have TRIM support on your SSD disk on your Windows.
    By doing so, Apple gives you this feeling that Windows is slower than Mac OSX on the same hardware.
    Hopefully there is a workaround for this fraud of Apple. You will need to modify the Master Boot Record of your Windows drive.
    This workaround only works for Macs with Intel disk controllers. If you have Nvidia chipset, it will not work for you. You may confirm it in device manager of Windows.
    First step is to make sure windows tries to load AHCI drivers after AHCI is enabled in boot loader. if you miss this step you will get a BSOD on booting windows and you will need to restore old MBR for windows too boot up.
    Open your Windows registry editor and make sure “Start” Value in the following keys are set to 0.

1 HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci
    2 HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\IastorV
    3 HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Iastor

Also we need the modified MBR which you can download from here : patchedcode.bin ...

Is it really like this that MBP owners are lost when it comes to using AHCI with Windows 7 on MBP's with nForce chipsets ? Just to mention, one point where the author is not right, TRIM W7 support can also be enabled with ATA / SATA drivers.

Thanks,
    Eugen

5. macenied thread starter macrumors 6502a

macenied

You have a MBP with a Nvidia chipset ? Would you mind to share the hardware info where you applied this ?

6. macenied, Aug 23, 2014

macenied

After reading this:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=696523

I'm giving up on Windows 7 AHCI for the MBP 13" mid 2010. The showstopper seems to be the Nvidia nForce MCP89 chipset. AHCI works with OSX, on Windows 7 Sata II IDE mode must be used which causes a ~ 20-25% SSD performance decrease on my MBP. However, the MBP runs stable, fast and fully functional.

Lesson learned, my next MBP will not have a Nvidia chipset.

7. guna63 macrumors newbie

Installing Windows in Mac Book Pro

Installing Windows 7 in any Mac Book Pro is cool (of course with little work). I did this at MBP late 2010 (15") and in MBP 2013(13").

Issues to resolve before installing:

For 2010 MBP, After crating partition from Disk utility (partition for windows- exFAT), install windows through DVD/USB as you prefer. Then install drivers as derived from Boot Camp version applicable for your system. This you can find from Apple support. Boot camp can be installed later for enjoying trackpad options like scrolling, tap etc.,

For 2013 MBP, include the drivers (derived from respective boot camp version) into 'install.wim' and update with the installation DVD/USB - this is to prevent trackpad/keyboard hanging during installation. After installation of OS, other drivers can be installed, as derived from respective boot camp version. Everything works for Windows 7 ultimate. But I noticed that some of the USB controllers not installed. As I observed from the discussion community, this is due to two USB drivers in MBP, but the motherboard has option for four USBs. This should not matter for all other functioning, including sound (HD), video, networking etc., After installing the sound drived, the RED light through headphone jack will disappear.

For integrating drivers to 'install.wim' refer the Apple support communities.

Enjoy 'Windows 7' with MBP of any version.:)

8. macenied, Aug 25, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2014

macenied

While I agree to you this thread is not about whether Windows 7 can be installed on a Macbook Pro 7,1 ( 13" mid 2010 j or not, it is about if a SSD on this specific machine with it's Nvidia MCP89 chipset can be installed using the W7 Sata AHCI mode. W7 Sata IDE mode works without issues.

I hope I can post disk benchmarks OSX Sata AHCI mode vs W7 Sata IDE mode using the same benchmark tool soon, showing the W7 Sata IDE mode performance drawbacks.

In other words, how good is the Bootcamp / Nvidia driver support for this system when it comes to Sata.

9. macenied thread starter macrumors 6502a

macenied

Voila, here it is. same system, same benchmark, OSX Sata II AHCI vs W7 Sata II IDE.

First screenshot ( already posted above ) is OSX. Second screenshot is Bootcamp W7. Quite a penalty for missing W7 AHCI Drivers, IMO.

Attached Files: