MacBook Pro 15” i7 vs. MacBook Pro 17” i5

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Nade, Jul 8, 2010.

1. Nade macrumors newbie

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

The one that suits your needs?

I would get neither, as they are both glossy, but if they weren't I would go with the 17" for its size and with the 15" for its CPU.

What are your needs?

3. Nade thread starter macrumors newbie

Well obviously I said I have to pick one of the two, as I can only get it from BestBuy…Thanks.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

And they can still cater to different needs.

Do you need a faster CPU and more portability?
    Or do you need more screen real estate?

Doesn't that matter?

5. re2st macrumors regular

It really comes to screen real-estate versus processing power.

If you buy the 15" now, you get the i7, but the basic 1440 x 900 resolution. If you buy the 17" you only get the i5, but you get all the 1920 x 1200 resolution.

Ideally, you'd want a CTO 17" with i7. But since that's not offered by Best Buy, maybe you can just buy either, and sell it, and then use the money to order off Apple Online Store.

As for the anti-glare versus glossy, you can still get an after-market anti-glare screen. But if you're going wih CTO anyway, might as well get the anti-glare option.

6. Scorecard macrumors member

Again it depends on your needs as spinnerlys has posted.

If you are travelling a lot more with it then the 15 is the way to go.

If you want something with more screen space and a desktop replacement then the 17 is the way to go.

Processing power isn't much of a difference, looking at a 5-10% boost in just speed of the processor, it doesn't actually mean the computer is 5-10% better. But if your tasks are photoshop/final cut pro you are in a dilemma, screen real estate or speed?

In your case I would go for the 17 because it has a big advantage in screen size. and that justifies that over the i7 15. If it was the high res 15 then I say that's the way to go as you get the best of both worlds.

7. Nade thread starter macrumors newbie

I still cannot decide. I don’t have specific needs. I’m thinking about going with the 17 because the i7 is only 11% faster than the i5.

8. Mew2468 macrumors regular

Somewhat minor but possibly important point: the 15" has an SD card slot while the 17" has an Expresscard/34 slot.

9. tactician1016 macrumors regular

tactician1016

Regarding anti-glare versus glossy: the glossy as seen in the apple store is deceptive due to the insane levels of flourescent (is that spelled right?) lighting. I have a glossy, and in ordinary light conditions, it's probably better in my opinion. If you can, try to look at one in normal light.

10. Nade thread starter macrumors newbie