MacBook Pro 15" 2010 running poorly. Freezing. Taking forever to turn off and on.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by postsanity, May 7, 2011.

1. postsanity macrumors newbie

(I am a graphic designer. My mac mainly is used to run Adobe CS5)

My Macbook Pro, 15" 2010 with OS 10.6.7 is running very poorly. It keeps freezing. I've got a 500gb harddrive and removed all the unneeded programs and files with 429gb free. It freezes when running the simplest programs like Chrome, Safari or even iCal. I've tried repairing and verifying disk permissions. Using OnyX to clean it up. Removing login items. Moving preference files temporaraly. Uninstalling programs I thought were troublesome.

I always keep the software up to date and as far as i've seen, the hardware is fine.

Then thought it could have been the OS so today I tried reinstalling it and am unsure if this is normal or not but when I put the disk in, opened it and tried installing it the installer said there was an error in the disk, which is weird because today was the first day I removed the disk from the packaging since I bought it.

The issues I am having:
    - Turning on takes a ver long time. Far longer then it should. Sometimes it takes a minute or so but other times it may take about 5-15 minutes.
    - Turning off used to be pretty instant. But even with all the Apps closed, it may take about 5 minutes or so and the wallpaper remains on the entire time.
    - The software freezes. When I open new tabs in safari or chrome, sometimes it freezes and the spinning wheel comes up. I can move the mouse around but I cant click anything. It often freezes whilst using Expose and Spaces also. These last from anywhere between 1 to 5 minutes. I've mainly noticed these two when using software that requires an internet connection but that is mainly because I will always have Chrome or Safari open.

Is anyone able to tell me what the problems could be or suggestions on how to fix it.

I don't want to completely whipe my harddrive and restart because I am worried my CD/DVD with the OS on it won't work anymore.

Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro6,2
    Processor Name: Intel Core i7
    Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache (per core): 256 KB
    L3 Cache: 4 MB
    Memory: 4 GB
    Processor Interconnect Speed: 4.8 GT/s
    Boot ROM Version: MBP61.0057.B0C
    SMC Version (system): 1.58f15
    Serial Number (system): W8012P15AGW
    Hardware UUID: C0BC8B65-C1FE-59A5-ADFD-E5A2DF806830
    Sudden Motion Sensor:
    State: Enabled

2. postsanity thread starter macrumors newbie

3. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Your Mac should still be under warranty. I would try taking it to the Apple Store for that problem. The combination of disk error and the slowness makes me wonder if there might be some sort of I/O error. Do you have AppleCare? You could call them. If not, the factory warranty will work if you're close to an authorized repair center or an Apple Store.

4. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

^ agreed, most likely the hard drive is failing. Make sure you have any important data backed up ASAP, and if under warranty contact Apple or buy a new hard drive.

5. postsanity thread starter macrumors newbie

I do not have applecare.

I've done an Apple Hardware Test and it states that all my hardware, including my harddrive, is fine.

This error basically explains my issue but I have an up to date EFI:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3423

My data is backed up on an external harddrive. Always is.