MacBook Pro 15" Cracking Hinge Noise—Anyone else have this problem?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by quadwing, May 27, 2012.

1. quadwing macrumors newbie

Hey guys!

So I have a MBP 15" Late 2011 and I've installed 6GB (yeah, I know) of RAM. So, I will admit, this thing has taken a couple of hits. Nothing direct though thanks to my messenger back. Anyway, I was in quite a rush in NYC, and I was running from Penn Station up to Port Authority on a Saturday night (dumb idea). So, this guy decides not to move when he sees me coming, and instead goes out of his way to knock me into a light post. Okay, so the laptop hit the light post. No performance damage, nothing done. My messenger bag saved it. That's fine. I check it out on the train to make sure nothing was wrong. Everything's fine.

So I get back home, open it up, use it, no problem. Then I close the screen. I hear this sound, which sounds *exactly* like a knuckle popping. Like the soft pop though, nothing harsh. It's more of an annoyance than anything else.

As far as whether or not it's the sudden-motion sensor, I can guarantee you 100% that it's not. That sounds more like a zip. It's related to my screen, so you can rule that out.

I'm not sure if anyone else has this problem and/or would know how to fix it. I've tried opening up the back to see if anything seemed out of place, but I didn't mess around too long. It was more of just a quick look, then I closed it.

Halp? :)

2. mfuchs88 macrumors 6502

Hmm.. Not sure what to tell you, that seems like an odd issue. Glad your computer's ok though. Mine only makes any noise at the hinge when I run my fingers along the top of the black piece and it's kind of loose and it makes this popping noise but it's nothing similar to what you were describing. Best of luck getting this issues sorted out.

3. quadwing thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, thanks!

Does anyone else have this issue by chance?

4. MartyF81 macrumors 6502

1. Open and close the lid and watch the hinge arewhere the lid and the base meet (the metal parts not the black plastic hing it self) and see if they are touching, this can happen with even a small tweak of the body or lid.

2. Go find that guy and punch him in the neck.