MacBook Pro 15" i5 2010 Overheating/Shutdown in All Games, Even With Fans Cranked Up

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Pickleman77, Jun 18, 2012.

1. Pickleman77, Jun 18, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2012

Pickleman77 macrumors member

Pickleman77

I don't know what's up here. I am running BootCamp on 64-bit Windows 7. Even when I turn all of my games on lowest settings, the computer overheats and the display turns off (with brief looping audio) after about 20 minutes. This always happens, even in older games like CS Source or TF2, still at lowest settings. I have scoured the internet and all of the solutions say to turn the fans up to 6000rpm. I have been doing that all along, and this is still a problem. Also, both fans are working just fine. Other sources have told me to clean my fans, which I did, and it did not change anything. I have also tried putting it on an elevated surface, which made it last around 10 minutes longer, but resulted in the same problem.

I'm all out of ideas. How do I fix this!?

EDIT: I guess it's worth noting that my computer runs hot normally, even on mac side. I average about 55-65C just from idling (again, with full fan speeds)

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Take it in for repair. Or try re-applying the thermal paste if you don't mind working with electronics.