Macbook Pro 15" Mid 2015 i7 2,5GHz Radeon R9 - power consumption at idle

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ibanezq, Feb 28, 2017.

1. Ibanezq macrumors newbie

My computer consumes approx. 30W at idle - is it not to much?

Battery enough only for 3h. :(

Someone can check this in own computer with similar configuration by coconutBattery for example? (with power supply not connected, "Discharging with" parameter)

Thank you.

2. Calby macrumors 6502

Calby

I can have my running more then 3h, but I have a other issue it's a click sound during startup :(
    It don't sound right that you only have 3h, take a look in activity monitor under energy and see what's causing the drain.

3. Sanpete macrumors 68020

Yes, too much. Do what Calby suggests to see if you can find where the energy is going.

4. Ibanezq thread starter macrumors newbie

OK, I reinstalled the system and now idle power consumption is about 15-18W. :)
    Is it acceptable?

5. Sanpete macrumors 68020

Still seems high to me. What does the Energy tab in the Activity Monitor show is using the power?

6. Ibanezq, Mar 1, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2017

Ibanezq thread starter macrumors newbie

7. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

Yeah you should be seeing no more than 8W for idle. I see 11w if I have safari visible (and there is JS on the page, or I have WiFi enabled).

8. jerryk macrumors 68020

A lot of things running in you pictures. Safari, iTerm2, Battle.net, Agent, Dropbox, Skype, Agent Zdj, ....

All consuming power.

If you want to get maximum batter life, get in the habit of quitting apps, not just closing them. And do not run apps that notify you of things since they can need wifi connections.

9. Sanpete macrumors 68020

Your machine isn't really idle. As @jerryk says, you have several programs running that are consuming power. Some programs are bad that way, using power even when they shouldn't.

10. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

Eh, a lot of the stuff uses app nap and nothing appears to need the dGPU. My best guess is something is heavily using the network adapter, which as far as I can tell the energy usage screen doesn't account for (or does it?). Like Skype....