Macbook pro 15" (+ monitor) vs. imac 27"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by legolug90, Feb 13, 2011.

1. legolug90 macrumors newbie

Hello!

First of all I want to say that I'm going to use the computer for web design, video editing and making iphone/ipad games.

I've read all over the internet about people complaining about the glossy screen of the imac. They say a 27" glossy screen destroys your productivity because of the inaccurate display (exagerated color) and the reflection.

Well I guess this is an issue for me because the windows in my room are going to be right behind me when I'm staying at the computer. But I can close the curtains though.

So now I'm thinking of buying the macbook pro i7 15" (with the matte display) + a big monitor with less reflection instead of an imac i7 27".

Is this a wise choice or there's nothing to worry about the display of the 27"?
    Also if I buy the macbook pro + the monitor will I get the same performance compared to an imac?

2. powerhouse7 macrumors regular

The 27" i7 imac will kill the macbook equivalent performance wise and, in my experience at least, is great for video editing (and good for the little amount of actionscript programming I do). My main area of interest though is photography and I have to say that the screen is quite glossy but that isn't a problem for me (when editing photos I close all my blinds and work in darkness). Also, colour accuracy has never been a problem either when printing or sharing to my other mac computers - a laptop and older g5 imac (but I can't vouch 3rd party lower-end screens). But this in partly because I calibrated my photography printer and display.

If it were me I'd defiantly get the i5 or i7 27" imac. It'll have much better performance, be slightly more future-proof, and the screen (if managed well) isn't a huge issue.

Have you also considered getting the imac for performance and a second 3rd party screen (amazing for productivity but also if you get a high-end matte screen that can be used to edit and verify colour - this is what I do with my 27" imac and dell 27" screen setup).

Hope this helps!

3. hoxley macrumors regular

i use a white macbook with an external @ 1080p and the fan is quite loud (i assume due to the graphics card working extra for the external).

does anyone use an external with an iMac and does the iMac become louder with the external?

at the moment i am weighing up MBP / iMac / Mac Pro and noise is an issue.

4. powerhouse7 macrumors regular

If, by external, you're talking about a second display then most of the time (particularly with iMacs) the fan speed will not change dramatically due to a second display. Like a said before, I've got a 27" (2560 x 1440 display) with a dell 27" display (same resolution) and there is no performance difference when using the second display.
    These days most graphics cards will be quick capable of handling a second display without performance (and thus fanspeed) issues. Certainly, any macbook or imac you buy will be able to handle a second display easily.

Does you're macbook actually get louder when connected to the external display or could it be that the computer has dust/ageing hardware that's causing the fans to spin up?

5. axu539 macrumors 6502a

I'm guessing he has the older, nonunibody white MacBook with the really crappy Intel IGP. I can verify that those, when outputting to a large monitor, or playing youtube, or doing anything at all graphically intensive, for that matter, do spin up the fans quite a bit, because, well, the Intel IGP really sucks.

6. DarkVinda macrumors regular

DarkVinda

i had the imac vs mbpro +screen issues before i decided on the macbook pro...

i've been looking at henge docks over n over....cant bring myself to pay that much at the moment (moving in a few weeks)

i opted for this mbpro and an additional monitor for the plain and simple reason i take my mbpro EVERYWHERE!!!

so an imac would be better performance...but i'd be stuck to a desk which & with my family life would prob end up in divorce :D

it all depends on what your doing i run logic on this 13" and its fine - when i need to hammer it then its attached to a screen!

My main uses - World of warcraft - logic studio - dreamweaver and surfing the net emails etc...cant afford FCexpress just yet so dont know how its gonna cope but i didnt have any issues on the 15" edition of this with the 9400/9600 gfx same specs just different gfx.

Vinda

7. hoxley macrumors regular

yep.

Intel GMA X3100