MacBook Pro 15" Retina - A Good Buy Right Now? Is a Redesigned rMBP Immiment?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jn995, Jul 16, 2015.

?

Is a redesign likely or not? I'll wait if it is.

Poll closed Oct 16, 2015.
  1. Yes, a redesign is likely soon (within next couple of hardware updates)

9 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. No, not for a while (at least a couple more spec bumps first

12 vote(s)
    57.1%
  1. jn995 macrumors newbie

jn995

I'm a Univeristy student and I have a 2013 MacBook Air. It works fine, it's just hard on my eyes and I'd like some more power if I'm using it as for 6-8 hours a day.

I'm thinking of getting the 15" 2.5GHz, AMD M370 MBP but don't know if it is a good idea. I got the old MBP for work literally just before the retina version came out (which would be my preference).

I don't want to buy the MBP Retina now if the next update is a redesign. I can live without sky lake processors but I'd be rather annoyed if I bought it and the next update sees a new design (like the MacBook Pro to Retina MacBook Pro). I'd rather wait a few months if it meant I could get a redesigned MBP.

My question is, when is a redesign likely and would it be a good idea to get a retina MBP?

I haven't looked into it much but it looks like they might be introducing the new MB and phasing the MBA out and redesigning the retina MBP sometime soon.

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

A current machine will not suddenly become obsolete or less capable if a new one comes out. With the amount of power that needs to be packed in that thin a chassis, I very, very strongly doubt we'll see a new design anytime soon.

I mean the first MBP back in '06 was a carbon copy of the PowerBook's design, that design dates from 2001. The unibody came out in late 2008. It remained virtually unchanged from 2008 through 2012. The rMBP isn't much of a redesign as much as an update. It looks virtually the same, ¼ inch thinner or so, and no CD slot, but that's it.

I don't think you should base a purchase of a computer based on looks or possible redesigns. If you're looking at a 15" machine, it's the power you want, not the look. This is an assumption of course, since you never bother telling us what you actually do with a computer.

3. jn995 thread starter macrumors newbie

jn995

I'm studying computer science at Univeristy but I also enjoy mucking around with 4K video as a hobby (hence wanting the Radeon chip).

My point is though, if my current MacBook is fine for the time being, I'm fine with waiting for a redesigned MacBook Pro but if it's ages away, I'll order the new MacBook Pro as early as tonight.

Thanks for your response by the way!

4. Falcon9 macrumors member

Falcon9

I kind of expect the next version might see some colour options (gold, and space grey in addition to the silver), but I would be very surprised if the design itself changes much for at least a few more years.

5. TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

To put it in perspective; the new MacBook that is thinner than the MBA, Apple had to move to a Core M processor that is significantly slower than the Air. The rMBP is about the same thickness as the Air, so unless Apple does some engineering magic there is no way they could put an R9 M370MX, a 4850HQ, and 1TB SSD in a chassis as thin as the new MacBook without severe throttling.

Any redesign will purely be new ports, maybe new colors(doubt it), and maybe slight reduction in the bottom "bulge".

6. inhalexhale1 macrumors 6502a

If you're a student, keep in mind a redesign will likely move to USBC and include other growing pains as well. While high dpi and no disc drive is commonplace now, many were agonizing over it when the original retina MacBook Pro adopted that design.

I'd get the current model and not worry about what an update in 6 months COULD bring.