MacBook Pro 15inch Retina Display Insurance and Applecare

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by FlameRevenge, Sep 4, 2013.

1. FlameRevenge, Sep 4, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2013

FlameRevenge macrumors member

I have always been a PC guy, but recently after the release of Retina Macbook pro, i have come to the idea of buying one about 1 month ago, then i heard about the update, so now i am waiting :(. I am thinking of buying of buy the top end 15inch Macbook pro using student discount :D, as i understand i dont need to add applecare if i buy it as a student???:confused: and also i am looking for a good insurer that would insure me, and also has good customer service :cool: . Please help me decide, any information would help thanks. :D

2. FlameRevenge thread starter macrumors member

3. wkoalmc2011 macrumors newbie

I'm new to mac as well, I have yet to purchase my macbook however I saw the education discount for applecare in the student store, so I'm pretty sure you have to buy that too.

4. Yahooligan macrumors 6502a

Yahooligan

AppleCare is discounted, not free, and you will be able to purchase it later if you don't want to pony up the money when you buy the laptop. You just have to buy it before the 1-year warranty expires.

You might also want to check B&H Photo prices on AppleCare, they may be cheaper than the student discount.

As for insurance, other than SquareTrade I don't know any that sell such insurance a la carte. SquareTrade is like $500 for 3 years of coverage and you have to purchase it within 30 days of your laptop purchase.

I have my electronics insured via "inland marine" coverage and this is done through State Farm as part of my other insurance plans, including homeowners, and I carry it on all of my portable electronics that have value. My cMBP, as configured in my sig, is covered against loss and damage for only $32/yr.

5. FlameRevenge thread starter macrumors member

Ok thanks for the tip #

----------

I am from the uk, and so far as I know only protect your bubble sells it for £228 this also includes a phone.