Macbook pro & 1680 x 1050 monitor setting not working

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mstan, Jun 16, 2010.

1. mstan macrumors newbie

First time posting:

I'm having a problem with getting my samsung syncmaster 2233 to work at its native resolution (1680 x 1050) with my late 2009 macbook pro. It seems to work with all lower resolutions (though the picture is not right, it at least stays on) but when I select the appropriate one my external monitor goes black and flickers on and off every so often.

After looking at other posts on different sites it seems that there was a fix in energy savings to switch the graphics from "better battery" to "high performance" but I cant seem to be able to find these settings. I just updated my software to 10.6.4, so these settings may not be available in the latest software release?

If someone has a solution for this problem please help, its extremely frustrating not being able to use my monitor with my computer.

2. sezratd macrumors newbie

Easy

1.go to "control panel" (forgot what Apple's called it)
    2. go to display
    3. check show display icon on .... panel? (forgot the name of that thing on top on screen)
    4. click on that icon on "panel"
    5. try several settings & see which on you're looking for

let me know how it goes

3. Ace134blue macrumors 6502a

Ace134blue

Its system pereferences.
    1. Click on apple logo
    2. CLick on system preferences
    3. Click on energy saver
    4. Click on well.... you know now

If better performance doesnt work let us know

4. mstan thread starter macrumors newbie

I've tried all other resolutions and none of them look quite right. I really want to use the native resolution of the monitor because I do a lot of graphic design stuff.

I've also tried looking into the energy saver section in system preferences but the option for better performance with graphics is just not there... I'm attaching a screen shot...

Attached Files:

5. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Are you using mirroring (built-in and external display show same image)? In that case, you can't have higher resolution than the built-in display. Turn mirroring off.

6. mstan thread starter macrumors newbie

Mirroring is already turned off.... the best resolution im able to get to is 1600 x 1000... once I click on the 1680 x 1050 resolution the external monitor goes black. It flickers, and shows the screen for a couple seconds every so often but mostly stays black.

7. sezratd macrumors newbie

Have u tried what i suggested yesterday?
    It's weird if it does not work since i had exactly the same problem with the same monitor and I was able to fix it.

Why don't you try it again?