MacBook Pro 17-inch, Mid 2009 - 8GB RAM - Problems

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Rossagues, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Rossagues macrumors regular

Rossagues

My MacBook Pro 17-inch, Mid 2009 - 8GB RAM has some issues with the usage of RAM on the machine.

With this screen my Mac has just turned on and nothing is in use. Nothing is running and yet I never get a full unused ram:

[​IMG]

Is it just me or the RAM not working properly.

Ross

2. simsaladimbamba

3. el-John-o macrumors 65816

Why would you ever get a full unused RAM?

The operating system, background applications, drivers, even the utility you are using to view the amount of RAM you have available uses RAM. Remember to include the 'inactive' portion of your RAM when figuring how much available RAM you have. Inactive memory can be allocated to other applications, it just means the OS didn't 'delete' the data from the RAM, it's still there, but not being used (helps some frequently re-opened applications work faster, and it also speeds up the whole process as the computer doesn't really need to 'clean up' after itself)

4. Rossagues thread starter macrumors regular

Rossagues

kernal_task is using 612.2 MB... Can I stop this?

5. simsaladimbamba

Nope, since it is the most important process on your Mac. I uses the same MBP as you do and I still run Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard and my kernel_task currently uses 458 MB. I have that much RAM to be used, not to be wasted, and unless you experience a lot of page outs during your normal activity due to not enough RAM, either go back to a less RAM hungry OS or replace the Mac with one being able to have more RAM.

6. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Yeah, if you shut down your Mac. kernel_task is the core of the OS.

Btw, i've seen a similar behavior on my Mid-2009 and Early-2011 17 MBPs (each model with 8 GB RAM).