Macbook Pro 17" screen issue :S

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacBOS, May 30, 2010.

1. MacBOS macrumors 6502

MacBOS

[​IMG]

I have a Macbook Pro 17" 2.16 dual core with a mate screen and now al the sudden i get this weird pattern :mad: sometimes it goes and comes back and sometimes it disappears for a month

is my screen up for a change or is it just something loose. :confused:

2. dsprimal macrumors 6502a

dsprimal

i would get it checked out if it becomes more frequent. otherwise i wouldn't mind it if it happens once a month for like a couple seconds. but of course if it was me, i would definitely bring it into apple to get it looked at. cause i want my mbp at its best at all times :D

3. MacBOS thread starter macrumors 6502

MacBOS

it was not bothering me before since it tuck just seconds to disappear but now it seams like it has to warm up for a wile before it disappears

4. dsprimal macrumors 6502a

dsprimal

if your still under apple care i would definitely bring it in and get a new screen. best of luck :D

5. Mirabella macrumors regular

I'm going to venture a guess that the problem may not be your screen, but your GPU. In any case, I'd say that what you are showing warrants taking it in for repair.

6. MacBOS thread starter macrumors 6502

MacBOS

[​IMG]

this is how i have bin using my mac whenever it does this :D

7. MacBOS thread starter macrumors 6502

MacBOS

is the GPU something replaceable? :eek:

8. dsprimal macrumors 6502a

dsprimal

i'm going on a grain of salt when i say this but....i THINK so. since it wasn't caused by you. then its just a hardware flaw. so applecare should cover that as well. in that case, you maybe getting a spanking new core i mbp ;)

9. Mirabella macrumors regular

Replacing the GPU requires replacing the motherboard/"logic board", which is about as significant of a repair as you can get. I can tell you, from having a GPU failure on a 17" 2.16 GHZ Dual Core, myself, a little over a month ago, that the replacement would have cost about $1,300, taxes included. Fortunately, in my case, I was able to get it repaired for free as a (Applecare) warranted repair.

I wish you the best, with this.

10. MacBOS thread starter macrumors 6502

MacBOS

unfortunately my mac does not have apple care, its bin with me since 2006, so it just looks like the inevitable is coming.

i don't mind a new one, i just wasn't economically prepared :(

11. MacBOS thread starter macrumors 6502

MacBOS

OK, so today I visited a mac store for my genius bar appointment and they gave me the breakdown on what might be going on with my monitor. First of the Genius seed that he highly doubts it has to do with the GPU because of 3 reasons

1 - the pattern showing in the screen is not random and only comes up after some movement is applied to the screen.

2 - the way the screen is not puling the correct pixel configuration which cold lead to a fatly tube.

3 - and a dent in the lower back of the lid that is located in the exact spot were cables of the screen shod be crossing.

One thing he did point out about GPU is that the model after mine (Core 2 Duo) came with a Nvidia Chip which was fatly and even had a recall. But mine was not the case since it has a ATI and that chip together with the main board was a totally different design. Now he also pointed out that this was just a guess and to really asses the issue I wold haft to leave my mac in there hands but that it wasn't such a good idea because if apple gets there hands on my machine not only will they repair the damaged screen but also every other part that looks like it can be changed leaving it like new but for a cost of basically a core i7 macbook pro. So he led me to a website that he recommended will be affordable and right for me.

Edit: I forgot to point out that the dent was there for 2 1/2 years and the screen issues started about a year ago.