Macbook Pro 17" with Serial Attached SCSI (SAS) Hard Drive - 15,000rpm

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by robertwijaya, Apr 12, 2009.

1. robertwijaya macrumors newbie

Hi guys,
    I am just in the midst of my research of whether the new MBP 17" is accepting the new SAS drive with 15,000 RPM? What's the fastest can it fit other than SSD? Because SSD are just too expensive. I was looking for something like the Seagate Cheetah.

And also another question with the 8GB DDR3, does anyone know where I can get the cheapest and most reliable product from? Please give me some advice. Thanks in advance!

2. Inconsequential macrumors 68000

Erm, I don't think you can do this internally!?! SATA only!?

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You have to look for 2.5" drives, as the cheetah one is 3.5" (for desktop and server use).

Seagate released a 2.5" drive, which has 7200 rpm and 465GB (500 GB for marketing purposes).

4. robertwijaya thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply guys.
    What about this link?
    http://www1.au.shopping.com/xPO-Hew...-10K-2-5-Small-Form-Factor-Hot-Plug-Hard-Disk

It's 2.5 SAS drive. So is that 100% confirmed that SAS won't work in macbook pro but only mac pro does? What about the 8gb kit memory, does anyone know where is the best deal I can get them?

5. zorahk macrumors 6502

6. magamo macrumors 6502

As far as I know, SATA is kind of subset of SAS. So SATA drives may be connected to SAS backplanes, but you need at least a SAS controller to use SAS drives. Apparently your MacBook Pro doesn't have it inside, I think the only option is to simply swap your HDD with one of the fastest 2.5" SATA drives out there unless you physically install a SAS controller in the chassis, which I don't know if anyone can.

7. robertwijaya thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks alot for the replies guys. Really appreciate it. I'll do some more hunting, when I do find the best deals and whats best to make an extreme MBP, will let you guys know. Cheers!

8. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

You can't use a SAS drive in a MBP. Its disk controller doesn't support SCSI.

The Hitachi 7K200 and the newer WD Scorpio Blacks (BEKT/BJKT models) are generally considered to be the fastest all-around mechanical notebook hard drives.

9. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Why dont you look into getting a cheaper, smaller SSD drive? or like me two 250GB SSD drives in a Raid array, (basically one 500GB SSD) with the CD/DVD Drive removed?

10. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

I can't imagine what kinda heat a 15k rpm drive will put out. Have you ever thought about the cooling mechanism of the mbp?

11. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

im pretty sure all the 10k and 15k that claim that they are 2.5" form factor are too big to fit inside a MBP. if you do find one make sure like outrigger said you invest in a cooling station. the best on i have ever used is this one.

http://www.enermaxusa.com/catalog/p...d=154&osCsid=6eec6142cd5fd96c2a6b0c573e83537f

12. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Fastest setup would be a small SSD and use the optibay kit to replace the DVD drive with a 7200rpm drive. That way your OS and apps all run on the SSD and you keep your media and files on a faster HD.

13. frimple macrumors 6502

SAS is not an option for a MacBook, don't waste your time listening to bad advice in this thread.

I can't believe some of the posts in this thread... makes me want to hang my head in shame! :eek:

14. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

SAS runs so hot that its impossible. You can't use SAS no matter what. Plus, our notebooks don't have SCSI capabilities

15. James Cole macrumors 6502

Wont there be a lot of vibration from the drive?

16. Apple Corps macrumors 68030

Uhhhhh - you are trying to put an unsupported SCSI drive in a MBP and are planning on letting us know "...whats best to make an extreme MBP..."?

:rolleyes:

17. magamo macrumors 6502

SAS drives won't work on your laptop. Certainly the connections of SAS and SATA look almost identical, but you can use SAS drives only when your machine has a SAS controller. Also, installing a SAS controller is as infeasible as swapping your CPU.

Sorry if my previous post was confusing. I just didn't think anyone would think it was possible.