Macbook Pro 2011 DTS-HD MA

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Proph3T, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Proph3T macrumors member

Been working on this for hours. I've been trying to play DTS-HD MA to play through my new 2011 Macbook Pro since I assumed since it has a 6750m that it should be able to output Lossless audio. I've been trying in bootcamp using MPC HC. I've been following this guide http://www.mediasmartserver.net/201...bitstreaming-with-your-windows-7-htpc-part-i/ which is pretty good I'm guessing, however I can't get it to work which is why I'm posting here.

Just curious if anyone with the new Macbook Pro 2011 has been able to get their computer to bitstream Lossless audio through the MiniDP port.

My set up:
    Onkyo TR308 (which is TrueHD and DTS-HD MA compatible)
    I have three of those MiniDP to HDMI adapters:
    Griffin
    Moshi
    and NewerTech (which I believe is the only VESA 1.2 adapter)
    you can find it here http://www.newertech.com/products/tcblmdphdmi.php
    Macbook Pro 17" 2.2ghz
    Samsung 58" Plasma (can't remember the model number)

Any help or ideas would be awesome thanks

2. smeg36 macrumors regular

What is the file you're trying to play, and what software are you using to play it? I've been able to output DTS-HD MA through my 2010 MBP using VLC. You have to change the audio device to bitstream to your receiver.

3. Proph3T thread starter macrumors member

interesting.. I didn't think the nvidia 330m was capable of pushing out DTS-HD MA. I have been testing with .m2ts files from demo-world.eu. I've been using MPC-HC

4. smeg36 macrumors regular

I'll download a file from there and try it when I get home to verify, but I'm almost 100% certain I have played DTS-HD MA from my 13" 2010 (with the 320M).

5. smeg36 macrumors regular

I guess I was mistaken. I could've sworn I saw that nice HD audio light turn on when using my MacBook Pro. But I downloaded one of the m2ts files, and it sent it as LPCM, not bitstream.

6. Proph3T thread starter macrumors member

yeah its pretty complicated to get it to work. and nvidia graphics card series 4xx and newer are the only ones that can bitstream HD lossless audio. So I'm pretty sure that limits lossless bitstreaming to 2011 MBP and some of the newer iMacs if they have a AMD 5xxx series or newer

7. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

Laurel, MD (Baltimore, MD / Washington, DC area)
  8. Proph3T thread starter macrumors member

it is definitely much easier to just play videos off of your MBP. You will need one of the adapters I mentioned above. My favorite is the Griffin MiniDP to HDMI but Monoprice sells one for very cheap as well. You will also need an hdmi cable. You should also look into Plex Media Player (plexapp.com) its the best for organizing videos and making them look good on the mac. I literally use all this stuff everyday.

9. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

^ thanks for the reply. So there's the Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Video Adapter you mentioned above but I could just grab this Monoprice Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter instead and save some money?

I already have the HDMI cable so if this is all I need, I'll order, connect to my receiver and be able to enjoy my DTS .mkv off my mac w/ no more conversion annoyances in order to have it working on my PS3?

10. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

(bump) - just wanted to confirm before I ordered