Macbook Pro 2012 Retina - Existing hard drives and the lack of firewire 800

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Charlie Croker, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Charlie Croker macrumors member

Charlie Croker

We use a bunch of G-Tech firewire decks at work that have eSata, USB2 mini and 2x FW800s. USB2 is too slow for heavy duty video HD work, so we commonly use the FW800s. As the new spec MBPs seem to have dropped the port, and with a quick search around for adaptors proving there are none, does this limit us to the non-retina display MBPs if we want to keep using our G-Techs in the way we are accustomed? We are looking to buy 2x MBPs to add to our arsenal. Thanks.

2. charlieegan3, Jun 12, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2012

charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

you can get some very expensive hubs from belkin, they would do the job.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1380334

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Essentially yes.

4. thuchu1 macrumors regular

thuchu1

Apple announced during the keynote that they would be releasing a Thunderbolt to FireWire and Thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter soon.

5. Redbeard25 macrumors regular

Redbeard25

6. Charlie Croker thread starter macrumors member

Charlie Croker

Couldn't spot the Belkin hubs in the UK. I wouldn't buy it at that price, even for work, as it is so vastly overpriced, but thanks for the link.

The promise from Apple to make an adapter 'soon' doesn't really help in business. I've recommended to my colleagues to avoid the Retina display models if they want to retain the G-Tech functionality with at least Firewire data transfer speeds.

7. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Yeah, I'm a bit disappointed the Thunderbolt-Firewire adaptors are available yet, but it doesn't affect me personally since I couldn't upgrade right now anyways (financially). Sounds like it'd be best to avoid that for right now, like you said.

jW

8. Battlefield Fan macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

Apple annouced a TB-Firewire 800 adapter. You could have even more firewire ports on the new MBP because it has two TB ports...

9. theluggage macrumors 68040

You could get one of these:
    http://www.sonnettech.com/product/echoexpresscard34thunderbolt.html

...and put a Firewire or eSATA expressCard in it. The eSATA option would probably be even faster than Firewire.

...you could wait for the Belkin hub to ship, which again gives Firewire and eSATA...

Or, you could wait for Apple to deliver the Thunderbolt-to-Firewire adapter that they promised at the launch. Its much smaller than the above and - given that their TB-to-Ethernet connector is only $30 - will probably be much cheaper.

If you need Firewire *and* ethernet then the hub starts looking attractive.

10. Charlie Croker thread starter macrumors member

Charlie Croker