Macbook pro 2015 (15 inches) 2,5Ghz vs 2,7Ghz is really worth it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by theberto, Dec 5, 2016.

1. theberto macrumors member

theberto

Hi everyone, I am going to buy a 2015 Macbook pro 15 inch and I was choosing the model. I saw that there are 3 different cpu and I was interested about the 2,5Ghz and the 2,7Ghz.
    My question is: is the difference really noticeable between the two?
    I would use it manly with Photshop (sometimes with very big files), Illustrator, indesign, premiere and maybe some after effects and 3d modelling.
    which one would you think would be the right one for me? is the 2,5Ghz good enough for my needs?
    thank you very much =)

2. Quasselstripper macrumors regular

Quasselstripper

You should definitely think about upgrading the GPU first before thinking about the CPU.

3. theberto thread starter macrumors member

theberto

yes of course I would choose the model with dedicated GPU

4. paaj macrumors member

paaj

All have dedicated GPU. Base 2.5 with 460 would be more interesting than 2.7 with 455.

5. theberto thread starter macrumors member

theberto

I was looking on the apple website and it seems that now are only avalible the models with the integrated GPU intel iris pro graphics

6. paaj macrumors member

paaj

For the 2015 models yes, the dGPU versions got replaced by the 2016 series.

7. theberto thread starter macrumors member

theberto

Yes but I was thinking about buying the 2015 model

8. paaj macrumors member

paaj

You're right, I got confused. You can still get the dGPU 2015 elsewhere, just not from Apple anymore.

9. theberto thread starter macrumors member

theberto

Is the gpu of the 2015 model good enough for you? Is there just one model? Or are there some (as 2016 models)?

10. paaj, Dec 6, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2016

paaj macrumors member

paaj

2015 only has the M370X, based on an older chip and it performs slightly less than the 2016 PRO450.

I went with the 460 and have no experience with the older and lower models. Just went with the upgrade since I'll be doing 3D work as well. The 370 or 450 would have been good enough I guess.

The 3D work is mainly realtime animated projections for theatre. Most of time I don't do heavy models, but more with textures and animated planes etc. Developing the programs worked on my 2008 model, but rendering anything more than a 20% window was dramatic even on the low-res screen.

With the 2016 base model, a <10% price increase gives like 30/40% more 3D performance and I think it'll be worth it in a few years. I'm sure the extra video RAM also helps.

11. theberto thread starter macrumors member

theberto

I would use it mainly with Photoshop, indesign and Illustrator, I was thinking about the 2015 also beacuse of the ports and mag safe, do you think that even if the cpu has slighty less performance would be good for my case? (I have never tried 3D modeling but maybe in the future I'd like to try, it won't be anywyay my main work)

12. motime, Dec 6, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2016

motime macrumors 6502

The dgpu model for the 2015 will be available in the refurbished store, keep checking. As far as the CPU speeds go, no, you will not see much difference at all. I tried out both 2.2 and 2.5 ghz models and noticed no difference in performance. From the benchmarks there is no noticeable difference between 2.5 and 2.7.

Definitely hold out for a refurbished model as they will show up in stock any day, they are as good as new and you will save a lot of money.

13. theberto thread starter macrumors member

theberto

which software did you usually use it with? unforntunately there are no macbook pro 15 with dgpu avalible at the moment on apple website (I live in Italy)

14. theberto thread starter macrumors member

theberto

I found 2 good deals on apple refurbished store, they are the 2015 model, one with 2,5ghz cpu and the other with 2,7ghz cpu. do you think it's better to go on the faster processor? does it change anything with a faster processor(for example the battery time is shorter or anything?)

15. Naimfan macrumors 601

Naimfan

Save your money and get the 2.5 GHz 2015 model. No meaningful difference from the 2.5 to the 2.8.

16. theberto thread starter macrumors member

theberto

thank you! would you suggest me to go on the new or wait for some refurbished model?