Macbook Pro 2016 15 inch and Lenovo Thinkvision X1

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by asarwar89, Sep 6, 2017.

1. asarwar89 macrumors newbie

I have bought Lenovo Thinkvision X1 about a month ago for my Macbook Pro 15" 2016. I am having trouble since day one. I have updated macOS while connecting the display using usb-c according to Apple support. Initially seemed working fine. But now it works fine for about half an hour and then the display goes blank. Apple detects the display is working fine while it is actually blank. Anyone else having the same issue?

After turning the display off and disconnect power for some time, display works fine for that period again. if I do not disconnect the power, restarting the display does not show the Lenovo Logo and stays blank.

My guess cable is fine as it works for about half an hour.

2. green86 macrumors 6502a

green86

3. chscag macrumors 68040

chscag

Is your Thinkvision X1 display still under warranty? After swapping out the cable as suggested by the previous reply, the only other possibility would be the display itself is intermittent. Seems like after it warms up (half hour) it goes blank. That could indicate a heat problem with it.

4. asarwar89 thread starter macrumors newbie

@green86 & @chscag - Thanks for your help.

I am using usb-c cable came with Thinkvision X1. I tried apple usb-c but X1s cable seemed better to me. I was considering buying cable. Apple suggested using HDMI 1.4b for 4k display with 60hz refresh rate. HDMI cable sellers mostly using the term "high speed" or 18gbit/s speed without specifying 1.4a/b. Does anyone know if HDMI 2.0 would be good enough instead of HDMI 1.4b. I am going to order another usb-c and hdmi. I will update once I tried both cable which is going to take few days.

I am still under warranty and I contacted Lenovo. They advised trying another machine and cable. If the problem exists, they will replace the display. Technically, they will replace if I claim I tried a different machine with different cable whether I did or didn't. Most probably the problem is with the display because if the cable works for some time why it should not work for long.

Could someone please advise how I can check external display refresh rate? Currently in my macOS Sierra 10.12.6 does not show refresh rate in Display section in System Preference.

5. green86 macrumors 6502a

green86

I think you can check system profiler for refresh rate of an external display. HDMI 2.0 cables are very similar to 1.4 IIRC, that should be fine.

6. asarwar89 thread starter macrumors newbie

You are the best. Thanks for this. It is 60hz.

I surprised to see that I did not find this simple thing after googling for a while. Everywhere I found Display and Display has nothing but resolution at least in my macOS Sierra.

7. green86 macrumors 6502a

green86

No problem. Apple does seem to keep it hidden, it is kinda strange.

8. asarwar89 thread starter macrumors newbie

The monitor was faulty. I tried with windows and the same thing happened. Lenovo informed they are going to replace the monitor.

9. green86 macrumors 6502a

green86

Thanks for letting us know!