MacBook Pro 2018 t2 question

Appleios

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2019
Hey has anyone MacBook Pro retina 2018 freezes and then reboots and sometime when go into setting it shutdown on you. Could it be the T2 chip?

I hope someone can help me with my question.

treekram

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2015
Honolulu HI
There have been problems with the T2 chip.
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/2018-macbook-pros-crashing-with-bridge-os-error.2128976/

But your description of your problem is vague so it could be the T2 or something else.

Open the "Console" app. Click on "System Reports". In the middle column, look for files that have the word "panic" in them. If you have one or more files that start with "Kernel" and end in ".panic", then you have a kernel and if post one of those files here as well as the number of other similar files you see, that would help to diagnose your problem.

Under "System Reports", there should be an entry called "ProxiedDevice-Bridge". See if there are any logs there. On my 2018 MBP, I've had a couple of what I believe to be T2 crashes but at the time, I didn't search for the error logs and in looking at it now, I see there are none, but if I look in the /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/ProxiedDevice-Bridge directory using Terminal, I see 33 files that start with "log-aggregated-[etc]". But I haven't had 33 crashes.

If you don't have kernel panic logs or other logs that is more specific in pinpointing your error, if you can describe when your crashes occur or read at least some of what is in the thread linked above to see if it matches what you're observing. For me, my two crashes occurred when coming out of sleep (lifting the cover) and when using the T2 video encoder. I've done these actions numerous times but it only crashed twice so these crashes can be sporadic.

There is also a MacBook Pro Supplemental Update for 15" MBP's with the T2 which would show up in "Software Update" in System Preferences. If this applies, you can install this and see if it helps.

treekram

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2015
Honolulu HI
If your problem is occurring every time, you might have another hardware problem and you should go to an Apple Store if possible. Otherwise, contact Apple by phone or email and see what they can do. Hopefully, your warranty hasn't expired.