MacBook Pro 2Ghz 15" for £600 - good buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mateus, Feb 15, 2009.

1. mateus macrumors member

mateus

Hopefully you're not too tried of these sort of questions, but I just thought I'd check with the experts (i.e. you guys) before I say yes to this offer.

So, I've been offered an MBP 2Ghz 15" screen with 2GB for £600 (about $865).

Seems like a good buy as it's in excellent condition but, as this is the very first of MBPs released in 2006, perhaps I should avoid it? :confused:

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
    M.

2. SSkky Reader macrumors newbie

SSkky Reader

The release of the new MacBook Pro's in 2006 was great to watch and use then! Though since 2006 we've updated that technology, and if your not aware released brand new unibody Pro's. Save up some more money, and purchase our new pro notebooks (Or a refurbished model from the online store). You won't be disappointed.

Also the person selling you the outdated pro will not be giving you the Apple Care with it (Since it's expired). Which is another reason to pass on this transaction.
    :apple:

3. mateus thread starter macrumors member

mateus

Thank SSkky, I'd love to own a new MBP but a lot of saving is required first! So when this offer came along, I was very tempted. I might be able to get the price down further but I get what you're saying.

M.

4. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

Our new pro notebooks? Did you make them? Do you work for apple?? Stop trying to upsell the OP, you're not on comission!

I don't know the current prices for second hand MBP's £600 seems fairly reasonable though. Ultimately what you need it for will determine if it's right for you though.
    Bear in mind that if it's the very first MBP it's got a 32bit CoreDuo processor, not the 64 bit, if you find one one or two revisions later (2007) it should be a Core2Duo, which is 64 bit.

5. opera57 macrumors 6502

If its in excellent condition like you say, I think its quite a good price. I would be seriously considering it! [​IMG]

6. mateus thread starter macrumors member

mateus

Ok, I might try & beat him down a bit more on the price. If he bites, I'll go for it. It is in immaculate condition (was used semi-professionally in a music studio).

The 64bit Core 2 Duo only seems to be about 15% faster than 32bit Core Duo (based on a quick Google search), so that's ok - although I don't know if being 32bit would be a problem? ATI gpu seems a safer bet than the nVidia gpu.

I'd be using it for amateur photography/graphic design (posters, photos layouts, leaflets, etc) & wordprocessing only.

Thanks for all your replies. :)

M.

7. mateus thread starter macrumors member

mateus

Rather than start a new thread, I thought I just quickly update this one.

Someone else got the Macbook Pro that started off this thread - they gave about £650 I think. Not worth it IMO & based on your advice.

But the Gods must have been shining down on me because I found a more powerful Core2Duo MBP on eBay - for £650. Arrived the other day. It's in great condition (even came in original packaging), fast & does everything I need.

I'm now a true 'Mac Fan Boy' (help!) but lovin' it! :D

8. drummerlondonw3 macrumors 6502a

drummerlondonw3