MacBook Pro 6.2 won't recognise Dell Ultrasharp monitor

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by simono, Feb 27, 2013.

1. simono macrumors newbie

Hi
    Desperate for help
    Have purchased a Dell Ultrasharp monitor 2312HM
    I have connected it to my macbook pro 6.2 2010 (Serial Number (system): W8012AZZAGW) via DVI cable (supplied with monitor) and DVI to mini displayport connector (at the mac end)
    I have selected DVI input on the monitor but it just says no computer detected and goes into sleep mode
    At the mac end of things, the macbook screen flashes blue momentarily then goes back to normal.
    In display preferences on the mac, clicking the 'Detect displays' button has no effect whatsoever.
    So in summary, the monitor is on and wired up to mac, but mac isnt detecting it
    There was an identical issue from someone else back in 2012 and a long thread. I don't believe the person ever got it sorted.

...oh and Dell don't provide any support for this and say it's not compatible, but I can see from numerous threads that others have it working perfectly.

I purchased a fairly cheap DVI to mini displayport adaptor on Ebay. Could this be duff? (the seller only had positive feedback)

Help before I go mental!

thank you!
    Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

2. drambuie macrumors 6502a

I had an identical problem with a 22" ViewSonic monitor and my 15" 2010 MBP, including the momentary blue screen. I solved the problem by using an Apple MiniDisplayPort to VGA adapter, along with the VGA cable that came with the monitor. The Dell comes with a VGA cable, so you only need the adapter.

The U2312HM has a DisplayPort input, so you could try a MiniDisplayPort to DisplayPort cable, but the VGA route is probably a sure bet.

3. simono thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Drambuie
    It's sounding more and more like it's a dodgy connector.
    I thought Vga won't produce as good a result as the DVI as it's analogue as opposed to digital?
    Thanks
    S